Monday, November 17, 2008

Old-home day on the cruise



We went to a state convention yesterday. It included folks from all over Idaho who are connected with the Soil and Water Conservation Districts.

The gathering started with a cruise on Lake Coeur d'Alene, with emphasis on Bald Eagle migrations, which are bringing the regal birds to the shorelines of the Lake for the next several weeks.

I had a feeling I'd know a few people, and right off, that feeling was confirmed as we sat at a table with Lloyd and Alice Wallace, Dale and Jo Ann Van Stone (pictured above), Fairy Delay and her son Ray.

Before the eagle presentation began, a tall, lean gentleman walked over to our table to say hello. I had been eyeing him and thinking he sure looked a lot like my friend Susie's dad, Dick Baldwin. They could almost be twins, I thought.

Well, it turned out his name was also Dick, but when I saw the last name, memories of forty-plus years ago at the University of Idaho came floating back. Dick Rush was a couple of years ahead of me and served as student body president at the university. Now, he's a big wig with the soil conservation program.

We listened to a very informative talk about eagles and their migratory habits while cruising past the many holdings of Coeur d'Alene's empire building Duane Hagadone. We also passed another house, which is pictured, and I don't think it belongs to Duane, who has some rather notable houses. I'm sure one of my friends from Coeur d'Alene will help me out on who owns it.

After the cruise, Bill and I took our second trip to Costco. Then, we changed clothes for the evening dinner/program in The Coeur d'Alene Hotel parking lot. We were probably the only participants in the convention who did not stay the night. We had animals to tend to at home.

Anyway, I found my seat at our banquet table and met a man named Steve Miller. He said he was from Fairfield, near Twin Falls. So, I asked him if he'd ever heard of Louise Lanting (was Bandy when she lived in Sandpoint). He said the name sounded familiar.

Later, his wife Linda came to sit down, and he mentioned she was a teacher. So, I asked her what she taught. She gave me a list of sundries, since she has taught everything from K through 12. I asked her where she went to college.

"U of I," she said, beginning in 1965.

I could feel the adrenalin rush.

"Where did you live?" I asked.

"Carter Hall," she replied.

I practically jumped to the ceiling.

"What was your last name?"

"Coats," she said.

"Well, I was Marianne Brown."
We were part of the inaugural group for Carter Hall when the Wallace Complex opened at the University of Idaho. We both lived on the 6th floor.

Needless to say we had a great evening catching up, throwing out names and telling each other what we knew about the faces from Carter Hall that we knew so long ago. Of course, we also bragged about our kids.

Turns out her suite mate was Louise Lanting's sister-in-law Trish and our hall president during our sophomore year. So, of course, we told her husband why that name ought to sound familiar.

A little later, Alice Wallace introduced all of us at the head table.

About twenty seconds after that, someone tapped me on the shoulder.

I turned around, and there sat none other than Louise Lanting and her husband, Jim.

Small world, and fun day of rekindling a bundle of old and good memories.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marianne, I think in your world there may only be 2.5 degrees of separation.

Florine

Word Tosser said...

I agree.....and also my husband use to work for the Bandy's when Louise was in college. And he did recognize her picture when I showed him..