Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Nuttin' but blue skies, black flies all day long

Flies have not yet died.
They say swallows must come and eat them.
All I know is that we have the usual sunny spring buzzing around the house and virtually any stationary object near the house.
They're not as bad as they were two years ago but bad enough to be irritating like flies can be.
Horses had flies forming little armies around their eyes and noses yesterday.
My mother sat in one of our chase lounges and had flies landing on her baseball cap.
Soon the swallows will come and enjoy several helpings of the critters and we'll be complaining about bees.
We're not complaining about the blue skies and the nearly 80-degree temps, however.
I won't complain if I get a chance to ride Lily tonight.
I'm hurrying through my blog posting this morning because John Fuller is coming at 8 to trim a winter's growth of toenails from Lefty and Heather's hooves.
He'll reset Lily's shoes from last year. They've been lining the wall in the barn, and after today, will no longer be decorations. They'll spare Lily the pain of walking on sharp rocks. She has pretty tender hooves, so I'm sure she'll be glad to have her shoes on for another year.
And, I'll be glad to climb on and take her for a ride down the road on a warm, spring evening.
Happy sun and a great day to all---except those annoying flies!

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

do they still use rubber shoes between the hoof and iron shoe? I guess the shoes are aluminum now, tho. My mother use to have rubber shoes put on for the horses she road rode.