Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tackling round-to-its




I decided this morning to get around to snapping a photo of this yellow bush at the entrance of our driveway before its spring show ended.

I wanted to get a photo because last year the poor bush could hardly get around to blooming. The yellow leaves came in bits and pieces, and more than likely when it did get around to it, we were well into May.

So, I've accomplished one of my round-to-its for today.

I intend to complete another later when my friend and I go to Bonners Ferry and the Mennonite bakery for her birthday lunch.

Her birthday was Nov. 22.

It was so long ago that the card I've had sitting on or near the counter for her has all but disappeared in a box full of clutter.

I'm thinking that if I don't find it, I can use it again this year when she celebrates another birthday. That way, I'll be ahead of the game, and she'll never know unless she reads my blog, that is. And, last I knew, she is a regular reader.

This has been a "round-to-it" week of sorts.

I paid some bills yesterday that had been either lying in the pile on my counter or swirling around in my head for at least a couple of weeks. I knew that if I didn't take advantage of that memory fart which alerted me to the fact that I had let them lie, they may stay on the counter and get mixed up in the mess to occupy a space wherever that November birthday card is.

Then, I'd have an awakening. The next month's kindly reminder that "you're overdue" would not be nice.

I never like to be overdue unless it's a book at the East Bonner County Library, which was overdue by about 15 years when I spoke at the library dedication a long time ago.
Librarian Wayne Gunter was nice enough to excuse the overdue-ness cuz I finally got "around to" confessing my biblio transgression. I now own Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories and Other Disasters. That is thanks to Wayne's spirit of absolution.

Now, I need to find that book. It's been packed in a box ever since we moved here three years ago. I'll get around to that some day.

In my old age, I tend to address "round-to-its" with a whole lot more urgency. I'm old enough that if it was on my mind to get this done on one day, it may completely evaporate the next.

So, I know that I'm headed for trouble if I let the "round-to-its" sit around too long.

My strategy these days is to make those lists. I usually did that as a classroom teacher, where virtually every minute's worth of planning had better be written down, lest it be forgotten when all the other endless distractions disordered my mind while standing in front of 30-plus young minds.
As I recall, many of my students had a problem with "round-to-its" too, especially in the homework department. Some never did get theirs, but they did get a lot of zeroes.

Anyway, after retirement, I decided I didn't need to be so rigid in my day-to-day planning. Of late, however, I'm finding a different reason to "write it down," or you'll forget it.

I always wondered why my friend Joy who called me almost every day for 30 years, in her later years, resorted to a check list while chatting in each conversation. She would literally check off what we had just discussed, and it was always obvious that she was using her "cheat sheet" for reference before introducing the next topic of conversation.

Now, I'm beginning to understand. And, I've considered that for today's lunch---which I'm finally getting around to bringing to fruition--maybe it would be a good idea to jot down a list of conversation topics to make sure we get everything covered.

After all, it may be sometime before we get around to celebrating her birthday again.

One has to take measures to stay ahead of the getting around to it game, and I'm doing my best.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marianne--A friend of mine once had an item on his desk that intrigued me. The item was grey and circular, about 4" in diameter, about 1/4" thick, and made of some kind of fibrous material. It looked sort of like a coaster for a coffee pot. In the middle was the word, "TUIT." The owner told me that it was presented to him after his many responses to others that he would do this or that when he got around to it. One of his clients had enough, and presented him with a "Round TUIT."

Patsy said...

When I led Cub Scouts we had all the boys inscribe TUIT on 2" wooden dowels. They loved handing those out to people, who looked perplexed. The boys would say "I'll tell you what this means when I get a 'round tuit'"
No one ever handed them back :-)

By the way the yellow bush looks like a forsythia. It is a very prolific shrub here in the South. They are our first harbinger of Spring here in TN.