Wednesday, July 15, 2009



Hundreds of them. If you see the blossom just to the right of center, you'll see a baby cantaloupe.

I started growing cantaloupe two years ago. Last year I remembered what the neighbors said about an old farmer who grew melons on his manure piles, so I followed suit.

Had ten nice melons last year. One even won a blue ribbon at the county fair---only cantaloupe there!

This year my entire north manure pile is crawling with ever-growing vines/healthy plants for cukes, cantaloupe, watermelon, potatoes, tomatoes, squash and even a few peppers. I think there's a secret here---very little rototilling, weeds come out with ease and rich, rich gold to help them grow.

2 comments:

Word Tosser said...

my father use to put his melons and squash in his manure pile...did fantasic... had the biggest hubbard squash in the neighborhood.

Oh, gosh, M... I told Ken he had to keep putting up dirt around his onions or they wouldn't grow proper... if he sees your onion pictures I am dead. lol

NILove said...

They really took off this year. Last year they were little squirts, even at the end of the summer.

Hard to explain what makes a garden grow sometimes.