Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tuesday Critterdeedum


Oh, deer, what can the matter be!

It was an interesting day with the pasture critters yesterday. We first saw the "aggressive" doe in the early morning down by the Ponderosa pine tree in the hayfield.

Bill pulled out the binoculars and reported that she had her fawn with her. A few minutes later, they went to the woods. Later in the day, she returned to the second pasture where the horses have been grazing for the past couple of weeks.

I knew she was there because I could hear Kea doing her screech barking. Border Collie screech barking occurs when they see something foreign or "think" they see something foreign. I've been the object of a few screech barks after going on walks and returning to the place through the north lawn.

I don't think Border Collies' vision is as sharp as their brains. Sometimes I've been within 20 feet of my dogs and they still think I'm a stranger. Once I speak, however, screech barking comes to a halt.

Anyway, I went out side to see what was the matter. Horses were running through the first pasture (where I put them yesterday) with tails in the air and ears up. The doe was standing next to their fenceline in the other field, sending intimidating messages for all to hear.

Horses snorted. Doe let out with that distinctive "WHISH" sound.

Then, I decided to get in on the action and whish a little myself. The doe answered me back.

This is the same doe that has chased Kea out of the woods twice, so I was keeping a safe distance, several hundred feet away. In the meantime, the horses had found safety over by the fence next to the garden. I couldn't believe what cowards they were.

Mama Doe has been hanging out around the place ever since, and I know she was here before we discovered her yesterday because a couple of my broccoli plants have the tops chomped off, and I know the dogs didn't do that.

We're concerned about next week when Harvey comes to cut hay. So, my brother said to make a round through the field with the dogs before he comes. That's good advice if you're not a dog or a person with a dog whom the doe has shown the upper hand.

Somehow, though, we'll do our best to make sure the baby is out of the field before the swather makes its rounds.

Always something here at the Lovestead with the critters. This morning Lefty has a swollen hind foot but he's walking just fine, so I'll be monitoring that and hoping I don't have to call the vet.

His swollen hind foot might be related to my swollen left index finger. This morning while whacking the last of the five-foot weeds on top of the manure pile next to the barn, a bee got me.

They had protested last night as I whacked away so I tried to be really careful this morning. I thought I'd succeeded when the last big clump went down. So, rather than remaining in "run-when-you-need-to" mode, I relaxed and did some touch up. Well, that's when they came alive.


A whole weekend spent in a box with all kinds of bees and no stings. Go figure!

Speaking of the weekend, I called Bill two days in a row on my way to the horse show Saturday and Sunday mornings. The first morning after turning on to North Boyer from the Bronx Road, I had to wait while Mama Moose and her baby figured out what route they were taking.

I kept a respectful distance while she decided. First, she thought trotting down the road toward town would be a good idea; then, thankfully, she turned into the woods and baby followed.

On Sunday morning, it was a Selle Road interruption near our neighbor Wes' home. At least a dozen turkeys---mamas and babies---needed to cross the road (probably to get to the other side to talk to a chicken). They posted two sentries on my side to stop traffic during the crossover. The babies were cute, so it was a welcome break from the drive to town.

Yup, this is definitely critter time here in the country, and we enjoy every minute of it. I can't say the same for Kea, though. I think she'd like to see Mama Deer and her baby go chase someone else's dogs!

No comments: