Sunday, August 30, 2009

One of those days when we can . . . .


They seem to come fewer and farther between, so I made the most of this one. I'm speaking of days where large blocks of time are available for doing whatever I choose for as long as I choose.
Those days are nice. Yesterday was one such.

Often, when given such gifts of time, we waste a bit of it because we're so shackled to the notion that "I must be jumping up to go do something!" Then, it dawns on us. Nothing urgent, no big responsibilities.

It took me a while yesterday because I did rush around a bit early in the morning. Willie would be heading down the road for Boise. He left before 6 a.m. He's doing some moving this weekend and will be back Tuesday with a car load of school clothes.

After his departure, I went about my morning schedule of feeding horses their grain and then leading them one by one to the hayfield pasture, which I've been saving for as long as possible. Horses get bored in the same surroundings, even if there is food.

Alternating them between the front two pastures has kept their tummies full and avoided a fair amount of reaching through the fences, but my horses see green grass on the other side, and they want it. So, yesterday they got the ultimate treat, that big hayfield. Hopefully, we'll get some rains soon, and it will keep them happily munching for the next few weeks.

After horse chores, I went to get the papers. They weren't in the boxes, so I took the opportunity to walk down to Selle Road. It's getting a makeover these days. By mid-September, the bumps, cracks and pot holes will be nonexistent with a new, smooth coat of asphalt.

Some people like it. Some people don't. The folks who live along Selle Road say that motorists will just drive that much faster, and they already zip down the road too fast. Those who use Selle Road for through traffic are gonna love it because the arterial has kept people pretty honest for years with its rough surface.

Lately, that's been enhanced by the dozens of speed bumps formed a couple of weeks ago when the county put in new culverts all along the way. Pulling a horse trailer over those speed bumps was challenging at best.

Anyway, I saw yesterday morning that the project is progressing along nicely. A roller and a water truck were out in the early morning hours packing the surface.

By the time I got back to the house, the papers had come. So, I read both editions and remembered that Sen. Ted Kennedy's funeral would be broadcast on TV. So, I watched it and that's when I realized there was no real hurry for anything on this Saturday morning, allowing me to sit back and take in the whole event.

I guess those of us who have watched Kennedy funerals over our lifetime have, in an oddly morbid way, gotten accustomed to such things. They're major productions, always touching, sad and mesmerizing. We don't know these people, but through history and the media, we feel as if we do. After all, we've grown up reading, watching and hearing about Kennedys for as long as we can remember.

I was struck with how we, as a nation, have taken Sen. Ted Kennedy's influence somewhat for granted because, unlike his brothers, he was always there. When I started hearing of all the legislative bills he authored or supported over those decades, I was pretty amazed that he definitely was a work horse in behalf of those not so privileged as he. I was also impressed with the day-to-day thoughtfulness he extended to his friends and to perfect strangers.

He definitely had his faults, but in this human existence it would be nice if the good things we do can outweigh the sins. It looks as if Ted Kennedy worked hard to overcome his darker days.

When the funeral coverage came to an end, I figured I'd lounged enough on the couch, so I went outside and started on some yardwork. Then, the rains came, not bad ones but wet. Bill was still planning to take in another day of fishing in Grouse Creek before the season closes.

It seemed like a good time for me to drive up to Bonners Ferry and the Boundary Trader to do some shopping. I can't find my double mocha cappuccino mix here in Sandpoint, nor has Yoke's had the decency to re-instate Meadow Gold French vanilla ice cream, so I go to the Trader for those supplies.

I figured on doing some major grocery shopping and hoped that on my return, the rain would stop and allow me more time for yardwork. It was a nice drive to Bonners Ferry, as always. I parked and went to grab my purse.

Hmmm. No purse.

Having a purse is helpful when one wants to shop, especially in a distant town. I groaned for a moment or two and then figured I was lucky to have some cash in my pocket so I could at least buy that ice cream. Well, I had $40, so my purchases of three cartons of ice cream, two double mocha cappuccinos and one block of Tillamook cheese added up to $26.

There was change enough for a cookie and coffee and some left over, but certainly not enough to have done any major shopping. That will have to come, I guess.

Twas a nice drive back, and the sun was shining. I enjoyed a leisurely late afternoon of lawn mowing, necessitated by the major dead leaf deposit throughout the yard from the wind storm the previous day.

Heck, I even took some time to make some coleslaw from one of my garden cabbages and to watch Little Jimmy Dickens on the RFD channel's Ralph Emery Show. Bill came home and said he'd had a good time catching about 25 throw-back trout in Grouse Creek.

I think we both enjoyed our day because we could do any ol' thing we pleased. And, days like that are gifts!

Happy Sunday to all. May you have an "any ol' thing you want to do day."

No comments: