Saturday, September 05, 2009

Saturday Slight


Blow, ye wind, blow! Somebody put the wind to work overnight. All morning, doors have been crashing open and shut and sending loud bangs through the house.

Outside, one of my bird houses was upside down in the lawn. The blue tarp covering the hay stack has been swooping up and down, startling at least one horse on its way to pasture. My lovely lawn is once again covered with crackly, early dying leaves, mainly from the poplar trees.

I like wind because it has a mesmerizing effect, almost seemingly carrying me away mentally into another zone. That's kinda fun sometimes because there's a sense of relaxation associated with the rhythm of air swirling around and around with no particular goal.

I hate wind because it usually means clean-up of some kind or rescue missions to go collect whatever blew away. When it covers my newly mown lawn, as it has done almost every day this week, my obsessive-compulsive disorder about keeping a nice yard kicks in and I cuss.

So, that's the mood this morning, but I'm glad to feel the cooler temperatures on this Saturday of the last big weekend of summer.

It's Labor Day, not Memorial Day, as so many people often call it. We're celebrating the laborers of our nation, and from the experience I've had with laborers this past year, they deserve it. Seems like the laborers are often much more efficient than the great minds at achieving their goals and having something to show for their efforts.

Take John Fuller, for instance. He keeps my horses' feet attractive and useful. He comes here about every two months, spends about 90 minutes, and when he leaves, Lily has feet that fit her shoes----just the other way around for horses as opposed to people. I wonder what would happen if they trimmed our feet to fit a certain sized shoe. Hmmmmmmm.

Anyway, John nails on shoes and trims toenails for 12 feet here at the Lovestead. He's not only a laborer but also a great mind. John's mind labors pretty efficiently and from that mind I've learned a lot of wisdom about life as he skillfully works his rasp or nails shoes on hooves.

I had another laborer come this week. That was Ron Kauble, Jr. He's a plumber, and he knows within seconds what's gone wrong with my automatic waterers. He's kept our network working well the past couple of years.

Ron, like John, has a lot of wisdom to share too. He's been a medic in the Army, has served in Somalia and is now doing his best to stay afloat as a plumber during this slow economy. I appreciate Ron, just like I do his parents, Bev and Ron, Sr. They're our neighbors to the south.

We've got a laborer coming next week on the day I take Mother for her monthly doctor's appointment. That would be Norm, the chimney sweep. He comes every year about this time, cleans out our chimney and shares what's going on in his life too. When Norm goes on his way, we can feel confident that our stove is safe for the winter.

Just a few examples of laborers with whom we deal, and perfect examples of why they need to be honored this weekend. Hail to all who labor. Your efforts are appreciated. If only we could get the decision-makers to be so efficient!

~~~~~~

I finished one of my brainwork projects yesterday---my Appaloosa Journal story, also put up some beans, visited my mother and then found myself with an afternoon for simple enjoyment.

I chose the bicycle and took off toward Selle Road. What was going to be maybe a five-mile ride doubled when I made the decision to go to Colburn-Culver (Farm-to-Market for us old natives).

I pedaled past Pack River Cemetery and thought about my dad who's resided there for nearly six years. Then, on to Northside School, feeling just a tinge of sympathy for the folks inside who were busily preparing for the start of the new school year.

Then, came "the hill." I don't like pedaling up hills, but any route I would have chosen at that point involved a hill. At first, I kinda planned how far up the hill I'd go before giving up and walking with bike in hand. Then, I decided I'd give it my best effort.

And, by golly, I made it to the top without getting off the bike. Geared down, huffed and puffed, but made it. So, that was my big achievement for the day, and I was pleased that the rest of the trip would be fun on this pleasant first Friday of September.

I stopped by the Jacobson farm where Jeff and Grace Meyer live. Grandma Carrie was there, as was cute little Riley, Grace's cousin. Grace is 8 and headed to third grade at Northside, while Riley is 8 and headed to third grade at Kootenai Elementary.

Carrie and I talked gardens and fair entries. Grace summoned me to their "fort," once the old chicken house. She also showed me a beetle she'd caught and put in a jar filled with grass. Jeff and I talked hunting. He's headed up Pack River at noon today for elk bow hunting.

I said good bye, and then, it was on home through the gorgeous Selle Valley. A most pleasant bike trip and the longest I've done in a couple of years.

~~~~~~~
Last night we met Willie, who'd been working hard at school all day, at Mick Duffs for dinner. We had a nice visit and then along came Rochelle Ruen and her hubby Lee. Lee works at Panhandle State Bank, so I suggested he might just want to convince the bank to buy a Cedar Post ad. Lee, Bill and Willie had a nice visit while Rochelle and I did some catching up.

Rochelle was one of my English students for two years. She graduated from the University of Arizona where she played volleyball. She was kinda thrilled to tell me that one of her teammates played in the Olympics.

I also learned that her younger sister Annie had married Mick Coon just recently----again two former students. Turns out Mick was going to be singing at the Coldwater Creek Wine Bar at 8 p.m. So, we finished dinner and headed over there.

Mick was an SHS wrestler and an all-around nice AND smart young man. I always knew he was talented, but last night I got to see it in person. He plays guitar and sings a lot of R and B, much of it, his own work. I was amazed and so proud.

His bride Annie and I had a brief visit, but music was in the air, so Bill and I listened through four Mick songs and then went along our way. Annie and Rochelle are both talented young ladies and very nice on top of that.

Last night's Friday on the town was a treat from start to finish.

~~~~~~
This morning, the wind has died down a bit, and I know more beans are ready to be picked. So, I'd better call it quits for now. I'll wish everyone a happy Saturday and a pleasant Labor Day weekend.

Don't work too hard! Remember it's Labor Day weekend.

No comments: