Friday, September 04, 2009

Freedom of thought ensures freedom

I'm thinking about George Orwell's novel Animal Farm this morning and maybe even a little from his 1984. I taught both of them during my years of "indoctrinating" the minds of teenagers.

I guess that's what we need to start calling teaching these days because there are so many people out there in total fear of having their kids in public schools being exposed to any thoughts other than their own.

The reason I'm thinking about those two novels, which provided not-so subtle warnings about the dangers of totalitarianism, is that both included segments about kids who were locked away from adults and brain-washed. After brain washing, they would march in step with whatever had been pumped into their formative minds.

There is a fear around the country right now that if students of all ages in America hear a speech a few minutes long by the President encouraging them to make the most out of their educational experience they'll automatically get sucked in to something really scary and that they'll possibly veer off the lock-step course of thought their parents have so carefully set for them.

I've got news for these people. Listening to a speech by President Obama or Dick Cheney or Rush Limbaugh or any other politically charged big name whose face or voice constantly shows up on the air waves is not gonna plant a poisonous seed in children's minds.

Furthermore, a lot of times even listening to advice or speeches from parents is not gonna necessarily guarantee that little Johnny or little Jane will go forth loyally espousing Mommy and Daddy's philosophies.

I'm a parent who knows that firsthand. For several years after they grew up, I disagreed diametrically with much of what my own kids were thinking, and, by golly, they disagreed with me just as much. Sometimes we just didn't talk about it because our passions were so intense. Sometimes we did.

Right now, we've kinda come back to thinking a lot of the same thoughts, but I still have disagreements with them in some areas. I also know that they, because of growing up in a different generation, have been exposed to influences I've never encountered and sometimes have never even understood.

Conversely, they did not grow up in my era, so they can hardly understand the motivation for some of my thinking. Some of my thinking has come through the experience of hard knocks. Some of it has come through a lot more years of observation and meeting people from all walks of life. And, yes, it's even come from actually talking and listening to people with whom I diametrically disagree---just like with my own children.

I feel the richer for all this. I also feel the richer because my children think for themselves. They've listened to Rush talk. They've listened to Sen. John McCain talk. They've listened to Barack Obama talk and a whole lot more politicians/philosophers, etc. So have I.

In this country of ours, if we allow it to happen, we can be exposed to a vast smorgasboard of ideas, dogma, religious convictions, out and out opinion, etc. We have the freedom, I believe, to think for ourselves.

If we teach our children anything of lifelong value, it should be to think for themselves, to listen to philosophies with which they agree and to philosophies they oppose.

My proudest achievement as a classroom teacher was to open up discussion among a group of kids who represented strongly divergent views. We set ground rules for civility and respect of others' views and then we "let 'er rip" for the rest of the hour. Occasionally I had to play referee, but always kids walked out the room pumped up and passionate about the lively debate that ensued.

We should have faith in our young people that they will make the right choices on how they want to live their lives and how they want to conduct themselves in a world abounding with diverse thought and diverse cultures. We should not rule their minds by perceived fear of what's out there.

Giving kids the freedom to think through exposure to a variety of perspectives could go a long way to ensure perpetuation of the very freedom so many think we are going to lose. We give them a great gift when we encourage them to think for themselves.

Let them listen to the President's address on making the most of education, and if there's disagreement with what he has to say, discuss it around the dinner table.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be thinking of 1984, mind control by the government! Big brother involved in every aspect of our lives, watching every move we make, monitoring everything we say and do.
Did you write his speech? If not, I do not believe you know what he plans to say so if a parent is concerned for what their chld may hear, they have the right to be and I think that is a good thing because at least some parents CARE what is going in their kids heads.

Word Tosser said...

in order to make good choices you have to see all the options... not just one.

I think the adults are making way more of a deal out of this than the kids will understand.. as most kids... when an adult starts to talk... after the third word, all they hear is blah, blah, blah, just like in Charlie Brown.... just like we in high school who sat there and watched President Eisenhower. So the adults need to loosen up..

SimplyDarlene said...

Oh, Mrs. Love,

I am one of those former "pumped up and passionate" students of yours...

Like you, I agree that everyone should be afforded the freedom to think their own thoughts.

However, I disagree with our current President and his pro-abortion pursuits; his apologizing for our country's rich and blessed Christian heritage; his holding hands with enemies bent on America's destruction; his pushing a health package that would increase the deficit, ration care, kill the unborn; and his attempts to stifle free speech of right wing conservatives concerned with the current administration's agenda.

I unabashedly base my value system on that of Biblical proportions.

I went to college in pursuit of an education degree, inspired by some great high school teachers (you, included), to join the ranks of influential educators. But as I learned what I would have to teach as an instructor of health in the public school setting, I wanted to throw-up. The values and morals of were not mine. Because of that, and many other reasons, we home school our son.

Children in kindergarten through sixth grade will be addressed next Tuesday. And sure, there is no way we can protect little Johnny from every opinion that clashes with his family's own value system, but we, as parents must guard and nurture them to the best of our abilities.

I will not knowingly put my son in a situation where influential teachers and guest-speakers will have an opportunity to plant seeds in his still-forming value system, seeds that clash with our family's very moral fabric.

I don't expect to raise a son that thinks exactly like me. I don't sequester my son from the world. I don't brainwash him so he unthinkingly follows me. No, rather I equip him with a heart and passion for people, for life, and for Christ.

Likely, I will watch an online clip of the president's speech, first without my son. Then with my son. I will ask him what he thinks. I will ask him why he agrees or disagrees. I will ask him what are the facts and the falsehoods of the presentation. I will stimulate his mind and his heart.

Like you, I also listen to all sides. I then filter it all through my beliefs. And only after I get the facts, get the facts, get the facts, do I step upon my soap box.

Mrs. Love, do you see one of your former student's passion and intelligence? Do you see the result of your work as an educator? Do you see your influence?

I know you do, even if it comes from one sitting on the other side of the table.

May God bless you this day, friend.

Darlene

NILove said...

Thank you, Darlene. The interchange of ideas from all sides, coupled with a spirit of respect, will go a long way to ensure a lasting freedom in this country.

And, I totally respect you for your opinions which do differ from mine.

Abby & David said...

Our school district has sent out an email regarding Obama's speech. According to the email, the text of the president's speech will be available Sept 7, 24 hours before the broadcast. The text of the speech will be at both:

www.whitehouse.gov/mediaresources

www.ed.gov

We have also been given the opportunity to have our children opt out of viewing the broadcast.

Even though I wish they'd put the text out earlier, it is my sincere hope that those that are concerned about the broadcast will at least read the text for themselves and then make their decisions regarding it. That is what I'll be doing.

Anonymous said...

Marianne,
You've written wise words today.
Your proud niece,
Maureen

Jena said...

So according to your thought process, to bring in diversity in the classroom and let kids think for themselves and form their own opinions, it would have been ok with you if Richard Butler would have wanted to address your your students, your children? If you follow your thought process, that is what you are saying, correct?

You see, Barack Obama is just as dangerous as Richard Butler. Both are extremists, neither care about the average person, but want total control, mind control.

Unknown said...

Amen, ML. Your carefully chosen words are so wise.

Anonymous said...

Jena, I would imagine if you are correct in your assertation that Obama is as dangerious as Richard Butler that we must be an extremest country to bring such a man into presidency - which I do not think is the case.

People have a tendancy to perceive "others" whose opinions are not similar to their own as dangerous - which is what Mrs. Love is promoting we change by showing respect for others - and their differing opinions - and God forbid we learn something from them and expand our perception.