Monday, November 23, 2009

It's no longer a blob



It was just about five years ago during Thanksgiving vacation that my brother brought home his booklet full of quirky/PUNishing cartoons, entitled "Slight Detour." As I thumbed through the pages, all I could think was that people need to see these.

I thought and thought and then decided the best way to get some exposure for the cartoons was to start a blog. I could do some writing, and Jim could post his cartoons. I figured I'd keep up the writing for a few weeks, lose interest and go on my way while Jim could keep posting his cartoons under the moniker "Slight Detour."

I can't remember the date for the first installment of this blog, but I know it was early December, 2004. Another thing I remember distinctly was all the explanations I needed to make to people when I mentioned doing a blog.

"It's like an electronic journal; it's short for 'web log,'" I would say. "So they call it a blog."

Somehow my teaching skills fell short with a lot of listeners. They still insisted on asking me how to get to my "blob." Explaining how to get to my "blob" was just as challenging at the time. Most folks were still figuring out how to "surf the web," so throwing in the word "blog" just confused them all the more.

My brother and I collaborated on our Slight Detour blob for a year or so. Eventually, he drifted off to slight detours of his own, illustrating calendars and coming up with cartoons related to hang gliding. I surprised myself by continuing to write the daily snippets evolving each morning from my strange brain.

And eventually, as a wider array of people got more in tune with the Internet, Slight Detour developed into a full-fledged "blog" instead of a "blob." They were catching on. Plus, more and more people were starting blogs of their own, once they realized how simple the process really is.

I had followed Dave Oliveira's lead from the Spokesman-Review. He's the blogfather of
www.huckleberriesonline.com He also promoted those early blogs coming from the hinterlands, and it was through his support that Jim's cartoons enjoyed some wider exposure. His support has also inspired me to keep up with this daily ritual.

More importantly, though, the support of loyal readers from across the world has bolstered my belief that blogging is a good thing. I'm often shocked to learn when someone tells me they follow my blog, often mentioning a few entries that tickled their fancy or made them think.

I'm also thrilled when people enjoy my photography and tell me they use some of the pictures to make cards or as wallpaper for their computer.

Just last night I heard from a student in the first SHS crop I ever taught. She graduated in 1969 when I did my student teaching under Ragnar Benson. I probably haven't seen or heard from her in nearly 40 years. She lives in Seattle and told me she follows this blog faithfully.

Then, she asked for my applesauce cake recipe, which I happily shared with her. And, speaking of recipes, I'm still blown away at how many people stop by this blog to copy off my Best Damn Pumpkin Dessert, Period! recipe. Those folks check in from all over the world.

The "blob" has been good to me, and I'm elated every time someone tells me they've started one of their own. I'm loving Nancy's new county 4-H blog, and Danielle Schoonover Otis of Western Pleasure Guest Ranch recently started one "From the Horses' Mouth," just to tell the daily story of life for the humans and the animals on a guest ranch.

From time to time, I've been tempted to bring this era of my writing/photography passion to a close. Then, I hear from someone like Judy from Seattle, and I realize that it has its merits, even if I do talk about hating snow and loving horses far too often.

The "blob" has become an integral part of my daily routine, and at this point, five years later, I can't imagine life without it. So, thanks to Jim, thanks to Dave, and especially thanks to all readers who check in to see the mutterings of this country hick almost every day.

Your support means a lot to me, and it's quite okay if you want to call it a blob.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Part of my day is reading your blog and Connies blog. I never know if I'm going to laugh or cry. I thoroughly enjoy your blogs. Keep them coming!

marilyn said...

I can't get my day started until I've read your blog (and a "few" others). Keep on Keepin' on.

Word Tosser said...

ah, yes, the following March I was minding my own business one night reading your blog... and up in the corner there were these words...
Start your own blog, it is as easy as 1..2..3... the start of my downfall.... in those late night thoughts, came the word wordtosser, and then a title for a blog??? from my simple mind, because that is where it was going to come from... dang you Marianne.. dang it anyway... now I am a slave to this fun chapter of our lives...

MarmiteToasty said...

Happy fifth birthday..... congratulations matie....

and oye, there aint nuffin wrong with calling it a 'blob' I have since the day dot :)...... it all down to a character called MrBlobby :) (its a British thing LOL)..

x