Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Morning Snow Coming Down


I spoke of snow yesterday, but it didn't last. This morning, however, we've received at least a quarter inch since I put the horses out at 6 a.m. Weather forecasters say we could get as much as three inches, but by Thanksgiving it will be gone. That's fine with me.

This is shaping up to be a week loaded with fun stuff. Gonzaga plays in the Maui tournament, beginning tomorrow, so we have a ZAGS game at noon tomorrow. That's phenomenal for my mother who lives for ZAGS games. Having to watch the Bulldogs at midday will break up her day of being home alone.

And, knowing that the ZAGS will play for the next three days at different times will keep her excitement at fever pitch. Plus, she's excited cuz some of her kids are coming home for the holiday AND she may get her new door by Thursday. So, it's a good week for her, and for all of us ZAGNUTS whose adrenalin zips upward on any game day.

And, with this week's tournament, you can bet I'll be paying close attention to all the on-location extras featuring the Maui landscape. Funny how you pay better attention when you've got a connection with something. I heard lots of good Maui tales from Ron, our plumber, yesterday. He says the Gazebo Restaurant is a place we need to try, and he gave us some tips on roads not taken that we ought to take.

Yup, this is holiday week, so Annie will be driving over from Seattle either Wednesday night or Thursday, and we're thinking that Debbie will be up for the four days.

It's also the week that the long-awaited Lake Pend Oreille guidebook comes out. Keokee's having a launch party this Saturday from 3-5 p.m. at the Community Hall. In the meantime, they've posted information on www.sandpointonline.com about the book. As a contributor, I'm excited to see it, so I'll try to drag my family down there for the party.

And, for the skiers, the sight outside has got to be exciting with Thanksgiving marking the usual hoped-for opening of Schweitzer. Even though we lose our blanket of white down here in the valley, Schweitzer should be in good shape for some early season runs.

Today is my friend Helen's birthday, so I send her best wishes. Since 1963, she's not been thrilled to share her special day with the reminder of the day so many of us remember in 1963. Goosebumps still come back when I reflect the horror and deep sadness President Kennedy's assassination set off.

I felt like a part of my heart had been ripped out that day, and I know millions of others across the nation and the world felt the same.

Lots to think about on this day. On the more practical side, I've got stalls to prepare in the barn and apples simmering on the stove. More jelly, and maybe another applesauce cake today.

I made one Friday but forgot to turn the oven temperature to the desired setting. The cake was supposed to bake for 45 minutes, but when I came into the house at 30 minutes and could smell "well done," I was horrified. After the first inclination to throw it out, I decided to salvage what I could.

So, I cut around the outside, lifted the middle of the cake out in segments, and scrunched them together in a bigger cake pan. Then, I made a rich but goopy frosting in hopes of covering up the disastrous architecture. Unfortunately, the frosting all dripped off the sides and formed a white lake around the cake.

I took it to the ZAGS gathering at my sisters' and announced that no one was to make comments about the ugliness of their cake. I figured that as soon as they took a bite, cosmetics would not mean a thing. And, I was right.

Today I'll make another one and make sure it bakes at the correct temperature. Cuz the cake, ugly or beautiful, has a flavor to die for.

On that note, I'd better get busy on this snowy Sunday. Have a great day wherever you are.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes, Marianne. Yes - I turned 22 on the 22nd of November in 1963 - a day none of us old enough to remember will ever forget. I was working for Bud Moon at the funeral home at the time. We closed up and went home to watch TV with millions across the world as events unfolded over the days to come. 46 years later it can seem long ago one minute and like yesterday another.

Helen