Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tuesday Twitterdeedum


It's hard to believe, but Willie is already facing his first-ever parent conferences this week. I wrote about parent conferences in my last book, Lessons with Love. The chapter was entitled "Ya Mean SHE Taught the Pope!"

One of my students, Kaleb Keaton, got that idea the day I pointed to a bunch of pictures on my classroom bulletin board and told the class I'd taught 'em all. Only problem was that one of the photos had two people in it: Cindy Wooden (SHS Class of 1978 and my drill team captain). She was shaking hands with Pope John Paul II.

I had no idea until parent-conference night three weeks later why Kaleb had gone hysterical in class that day. His mom and dad, Kim and Julie Keaton, walked up to my table with big smiles on their faces, prepared to tell me exactly why Kaleb went goofy that day. We all enjoyed a great chuckle out of that one.

By the way, Cindy Wooden still gets her picture taken with Popes. She's been working as a reporter in the Vatican Bureau of Catholic News Service since 1989. Her byline still appears on significant Papal stories in Catholic newspapers around the world.

Anyway, that was a good parent conference, and I had many over the years. That was the problem. I had TOO many, and my bladder couldn't take holding it all in for all those hours.

Fortunate for Willie, he doesn't have nearly the number of students I had because he's in a program that needs rebuilding, so he should get off easy this first year. Still, it will be fun to hear his observations after two days of school followed by several hours of parent conferences.

The reward is Friday off, and that's what always kept us all going---knowing we could collapse and have an extra weekend day to make up for the most grueling week of the school year.

~~~~~
I saw Willie's editor in the Daily Bee this morning, as an Elks' Student of the Month. I've yet to meet Jen Prendato, and from what I've heard, she's a keeper. It will be interesting to see if a year comes along when Jen's picture appears on Willie's wall and he's bragging about her adventures after high school to an upcoming group of students.

Those successes were always the carrots dangled before the kids' faces, in hopes that they would kindle their own dreams based on the stories told about others who had sat in the same desks just years before. In my mind, that was one of the most fun aspects of teaching, and it remains so even years after my retirement.

So, good luck Jen. It will be fun to see where your Cedar Post experience and all that talent take you. Plus, it will be fun to meet you some day.

~~~~~

Speaking of the Pope and Catholicism, I must extend my sympathy to the Sundquist family this week after the loss of their wife, mom and grandmom, Irene. What a lady, so devoted to the church! Irene was one of those people bound for sainthood because of her humble devotion to the Catholic faith.

She gave and gave and gave, never seeking anything in return. St. Joseph's and the community have lost a wonderful servant and phenomenal human being.

~~~~~

On the book scene, I must note that Keokee Books is starting the promotion process for Legendary Lake Pend Oreille, a guidebook which has been nearly six years in the making. I saw the first notification of its release on www.sandpointonline.com yesterday afternoon.

And, when I went to the http://www.sandpointonline.com/catalog/index.php website I saw the beautiful cover painting by Karen Robinson. I understand that Karen, a local artist and wife to one of Bill's colleagues, has done several pieces of art for the book. Several Sandpoint locals, including yours truly, have contributed to the new book.

I also saw that this 400-plus page volumen, the biggest ever produced by Keokee, will feature 16 pages of Ross Hall photos. You can get a taste of his work at www.rosshallcollection.com. The book is packed with something for everyone who's ever felt a tinge of love for Lake Pend Oreille---history, trails, boating rules, adventures, you name it.

So, if you're at all interested in learning more, go to http://www.sandpointonline.com/catalog/index.php, and check it out. There's a book launch party Nov. 28 at Community Hall. So, think Christmas and stocking stuffers.

~~~~~~
The overnight rain has ceased so I'd better take advantage of the dryness and get outside.

Happy Tuesday.

No comments: