Sunday, January 10, 2010

Slow Sunday


It's a laid-back quiet Sunday morning here at the Lovestead. In fact, I even slept in until 6 a.m. That meant a few minutes of not being laid-back cuz those hungry critters out there in the barn don't follow the same schedule as we humans.


Since they're listening to country music all night in the dark, they have no idea that we were up late last night. Plus, they don't care.

So, I hurried through coffee making, stoking up the fire and taking a quick bath. Got dressed and headed out to the barn, arriving by about 6:20, not too late for Lily, Lefty and Heather. Heck, Lily didn't even kick the side of the barn to let me know of her impatience about the morning grain.

I finished the usual chores, grabbed the papers and came in for that first cup of coffee. I noticed this morning that coffee does, indeed, speed up the system along with enhancing one's desire to do work. I kept talking myself out of cleaning all the stalls, but then my own personal OCDC monitor kept control of my decisions.

"Don't break that routine," it advised me. "Besides if you have all the stalls done, you can enjoy your in-house morning time without guilt." That advice won over laziness. The stalls are clean, and I'm feeling laid-back as I do my first computer work of the day.

We were up late last night because Willie and Debbie brought some clothes to dry. Seems their dryer doesn't work, and ours takes a cycle or two to get things fully dry. We went to Barbara and Laurie's for hamburgers and ZAGS last night. And the clothes, thrown in before we left, had at least another cycle to go by the time we returned.

Yesterday was a bittersweet day, with the bitter happening in the morning. I attended a memorial service for my friend and hairdresser Joyce Campbell. When I do attend funerals, it always strikes me how simple, sincere goodwill toward others trumps all the other accomplishments of life. Folks like Joyce, who treat everyone as if they're someone special, are remembered in glorious ways.

She will be missed, but her example of exemplary friendship and caring others will certainly live on through the inspiration she left among everyone in that chapel.

After Joyce's service, I went to the old City Hall on Main and Second where I met Willie and Debbie. Debbie had the key to her office, so we all checked it out. She will have great exposure in that setting for igniting a renewed interest in Girl Scouting for this area. We also went across the street so they could meet Sylvie from Maps and More (http://www.sandpointmaps.com/index.html).

Maps and More has become one of Bill's favorite new stores. Check out her website; she has created a beautiful waterproof map of Lake Pend Oreille.

I'm sure Sylvie's store will be a destination for Debbie as she gets settled in her new office. Sylvie told us of her mother's involvement in Girl Scouts in Mexico City. At a powwow, featuring two scouts from every country, her mom met some lifelong friends. The group meets every so often in different countries of the world, and Sylvie gets to go along for the fun.

After our visit at the map store, we headed for Trinity for a lunch to celebrate Debbie's new job. I introduced her to their wonderful pecan crusted chicken salad. In my mind, it's the best salad I've ever eaten. Each time I order it's always a bit different, and I'm a weirdo because I ask them to leave the goat cheese and onions off my plate.

All in all, the day was filled with memories and moments spent reflecting on the good people with whom I come in contact on a daily basis in this community.

Today will be bittersweet also. Bill and I will be attending another memorial service for a local teacher who died the day after Christmas. She was a lovely lady who, like Joyce, left behind many admiring friends in this community. I expect that once more I'll be inspired.

Have a wonderful Sunday and pass along some friendship. It's remembered and valued.

And, speaking of friends, the calendar tells me this is my longtime friend Susie "Sky" Baldwin's birthday, so I'll pass along greetings for a great day, dear friend.


No comments: