Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Thoughts on Laurel

SHS Cedar Post staff, 1963-64: Bob Hamilton, Adalma Hines, Laurel Pratt. Back Row: Gerald Walseth, Pat Chesley, Marianne Brown, Carol Cochran, Bonnie Arnold and Pat Carter.

I've often heard friends quip that they look at the obituaries every morning to make sure they're not listed. Then, they can move on with the rest of the day. I'm beginning to understand that common statement more every day, especially when I read more and more life stories of people my age.


This past week has included several 50-60-somethings, including a gal I knew in high school. She grew up right here in Selle. Years later, I taught her son and enjoyed the heck out of him. He was an outstanding, very accomplished student and a really nice young man.


The first time I ever met Laurel Pratt Wagers, mother of Lee, daughter of Joe and Margery, we were students of journalism teacher Bob Hamilton's at Sandpoint High School. Both of us were aspiring journalists.

Laurel had moved in from Alaska, and she was a year younger than I, only a year ahead of me.
From the time I met her, I called her a "walking encyclopedia." I noticed in her obituary this morning that someone else referred to her as such, so she maintained her reputation for brilliance throughout the next 40 years or so.

Laurel and I and her son Lee all shared a common love. We were
Cedar Post alumni, all students of Bob Hamilton. I would venture to say that anyone who ever served on the Cedar Post at Sandpoint High School, especially in an editorial capacity, probably lists that experience among their top five, no matter their age.

I also believe that anyone who participated in key Cedar Post roles had an added advantage over other students by experiencing a rigid standard of discipline and responsibility.

I often told my
Cedar Post students that serving as an editor for our high school paper gave a pretty good clue of the qualities needed to succeed at a service academy: high expectations, never-ending responsibility, acute awareness of what's happening around you, constant quest for perfection, to name a few.

Laurel exhibited all these as Cedar Post editor in 1963-64 and throughout her life. She was editor when President Kennedy was assassinated. I'll never forget the issue following his death, with the huge front-page picture of the President.

Laurel went on to attend Michigan State University where she graduated as a journalism major.
I'm somewhat vague on her life after that, but I do know that when she returned to Sandpoint with her little guy Lee, her contributions to this community took off, and in a big way.

Today's paper mentions her involvement in saving the Panida Theater. Considering the fact that the community touts the Panida as one of its crown jewels, I'd say Laurel left a phenomenal legacy.


I did not personally witness a lot of Laurel's behind-the-scenes accomplishments, but I know of them and knew that she---that lady who rode her bike virtually everywhere around town---was greatly respected and loved in this community, especially by those associated with the arts. And, true to her journalism roots, she worked as managing editor for Multilingual Computing, published here in Sandpoint.

As a teacher, I view her supreme accomplishment as that of a mother. Lee, as I said before, stands out as one of the magnificent young men among the many I've worked with over my career.

I don't know how many of her "walking encyclopedia" skills were needed for rearing Lee, but I'm guessing her love and example guided him to the successful young man, husband and father he is today.


Yes, seeing people in their 60s commonly listed among the obits gives one a sense of discomfort about the duration of one's mortality. It is especially sad to read about people I know, like Laurel.

In her case, however, those life accomplishments and the impact she left on so many people in this community add up to a "job well done."

And, when it's a fellow Cedar Post grad, I'll tip my hat to her memory even more. RIP, Laurel. Your life story is inspiring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew Laurel for a couple of years, 1969-1970, when she lived in Seattle and worked at the University of Washington library. A truly fine person.