Saturday, April 24, 2010

Saturday Slight


No paper, and the rain's falling.  Mountains are socked in.  I was somewhat surprised to see the weather change, but it lends to the quiet peace of a Saturday morning after a busy, beautiful Friday.

The horses got a taste of green grass yesterday.  I did some rearranging of panels from my round pen and was able to build them a little makeshift pasture in an area where they don't usually graze.  They seemed quite happy with the change of pace and the good eats.

Play time was a bit limited, though, because of the shape and small size of the enclosure.  Talk about horses being creatures of habit.  Each tried to turn to the right rather than the left this morning as I led them from the barn.  The left leads to the barnyard, and they figured yesterday's new route would become routine today.

Unfortunately, I didn't want to set up fence again so early in the morning so they had to settle for hay in their usual breakfast spot.

~~~~~
The week sped by so quickly, it seems.  Hard to believe that next Saturday is May Day.  That's the day Bill and Willie, along with Annie,  will be taking in a sports doubleheader in Seattle.  First, the red-hot Mariners at Safeco Field. 

We're hoping they'll be leading their division by next weekend.  That will make the experience even more exciting for Willie, Bill and Annie.  They'll be located in prime seating, which is part of their birthday present.

That evening they'll be wearing their green and turquoise towels and standing in the end zone for the Sounders soccer match.  Apparently, those matches are quite the experience for the fans, so I'm sure Bill will have a few good stories to share about his first MLS outing when they get back.

~~~~~
On May Day, I'll probably be doing some channel switching to catch shots of my family at the baseball game and then the Kentucky Derby.  Seems I've missed parts or all of it for some reason or another the past couple of years, and that's been sad.  It's always been a staple in the beautiful, unfolding spring, and I always cry when they play "My Old Kentucky Home."

So, this year, I'm excited to be able to be near a TV to watch it. 

~~~~~~
Speaking of "home," one of my favorite people came home this week, and Sandpoint is all the better because of it.  I don't know anyone who doesn't think the world of Colin Moody.  And, he's right up there on my list of phenomenal people one can meet over a lifetime.

Colin has completed his Master's Degree and is returning to Cedar Hills Church.  I haven't heard the details yet, but just knowing that he's back to work the magic with his wonderful, upbeat, inspiring personality gives me a sense of peace. 

Welcome back, Colin.  Can't wait to have an opportunity to "break bread" with you.

~~~~~

On the upbeat scene, I also enjoyed a conversation with another former student last night.  I'll be featuring a snippet or two about her in my next column for "The River Journal."  Talk about a happy, accomplished young lady.

Kate McGuckin is finishing her Master's Degree this year in Molecular Biology ( I think that's it), being sworn in as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army and headed off to Germany to do research for the Army.  Kate is so excited about her future and has it pretty well tracked out, with hopes of some day earning her doctorate.

Kate and her family went through some much-publicized hard times a few years back, but she has not let those challenges hold her back from a very happy and successful life.

It was good to talk with her and I look forward to visiting with her when she returns to Sandpoint for a visit.

~~~~~
I thought the rain would be temporary, but it's now falling with a little more intensity.  That's good cuz there are potatoes in the gardens needing some water by now.  I still haven't hooked up my hoses, so they've been "dry land spuds" until I do. 

The garden has some lettuce, the broccoli, swiss chard and cabbage so far, and I think that's going to be the extent of it until May when warm weather at night is a bit more of a sure thing.

For the time being, there's still plenty of other outside projects to keep me occupied.

~~~~~
Maybe the papers have come by now, so I'll sign off and wish you all a wonderful Saturday and weekend.

I'll leave you this morning with the lyrics to one of my new favorite country songs.  I really listened closely to the lyrics for the first time when Miranda Lambert performed it on Sunday night's country awards show.   The word touch my heart deeply, especially because our childhood home no longer exists.

The House That Built Me

I know they say you can’t go home again
I just had to come back one last time
Ma’am I know you don’t know me from Adam
But these handprints on the front steps are mine

Up those stairs in that little back bedroom
Is where I did my homework and I learned to play guitar
I bet you didn’t know under that live oak
My favorite dog is buried in the yard

I thought if I could touch this place or feel it
This brokenness inside me might start healing
Out here it’s like I’m someone else
I thought that maybe I could find myself
If I could just come in I swear I’ll leave
Won’t take nothing but a memory
From the house that built me

Mama cut out pictures of houses for years
From Better Homes and Gardens magazine
Plans were drawn and concrete poured
Nail by nail and board by board
Daddy gave life to mama’s dream

I thought if I could touch this place or feel it
This brokenness inside me might start healing
Out here it’s like I’m someone else
I thought that maybe I could find myself
If I could just come in I swear I’ll leave
Won’t take nothing but a memory
From the house that built me

You leave home and you move on and you do the best you can
I got lost in this old world and forgot who I am

I thought if I could touch this place or feel it
This brokenness inside me might start healing
Out here it’s like I’m someone else
I thought that maybe I could find myself
If I walk around I swear I’ll leave
Won’t take nothing but a memory
From the house that built me

3 comments:

Word Tosser said...

Boy, does those words hit home...
my father built the house I was raised in... and even though I have gone by it several times, I never was brave enough to knock on the door and ask could I look inside, just for a few minutes..
Look out the upstairs window that was my bedroom and see in my mind, what I use to see...
Yep, these words hit home very much for me.

Anonymous said...

My childhood burned several years ago, after we had sold it. I still enjoy driving by the spot where it used to be. The rock wall is still there that my dad built, but sadly the house is not. In my minds eye I can still see me and my dog (Zippy )playing in that yard.

Anonymous said...

that would be " childhood home "