Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Freeze Frame


Yes, it froze last night.   I do hope my baby plants are not frozen in time.  I'm holding out great hope for my broccoli and the greenhouse lettuce I put in the ground yesterday afternoon.  They're cold-weather plants, right?

My biggest concern is those fruit trees with blossoms.  By the way, I realized that there were only two trees where the map drawn by the Lovestead previous owners showed three. So,  the tree I thought was a Yakima plum is a pear tree instead.  Seems the Yakima plum tree was there but disappeared before we moved to the place. 

My cherry tree is loaded with blossoms and CD's that Cis gave me a while back to scare off the birds.  Hope the blossoms are okay.

Bill came home the night before last  with a form of "Deer Off"  and spent an hour or so spraying his most recently planted seedlings as well as my tulips and the blueberry bushes.

As plants keep popping from the ground and growing taller, I've discovered that all is not lost with my tulips.  They just have funny shapes from being scalped a few weeks ago by those overnight nibblers.

And, speaking of deer,  we made another discovery last night.  I was using the upstairs restroom, which has a window to the whole west side of the place.  The window is BEHIND the commode so not a lot of good scenic viewing while doing business.

But---as I prepared to leave, I looked out and could see movement down toward the Lodgepole/God Tree.  At least two deer were circling the tree, nosing around.  Walking downstairs, I yelled to Bill that we had some potential new members for the Lodgepole Society.  Bill didn't seem too excited about inducting deer into our exclusive club.

We went on about our respective routes.  Eventually, mine led out to the hayfield for the nightly romp with the dogs.  I must tell you that,  as the fields continue to green up, there's nothing prettier than Border Collies racing to and fro.  Should have brought my camera, but the image is frozen in my mind. 

Eventually, the dogs and I moved on to the God Tree pasture.  As I got closer, I could see that the door to the box which holds  the Lodgepole Society official forms (field books) was missing.  Continuing forward, I was happy to see that all the contents were still intact within the box, which is about three feet above the ground on a wooden standard.  

The door was lying on the ground.  Those deer.  Can't they leave anything alone?  Their vandalism last night could be grounds for banning them for life from the Lodgepole Society.  Later, Bill went down and tightened the latches on the box.

I guess if we see them loitering around the box tonight we'll just have to go down there and induct them into the club and make very clear to them the reverence and respect that must be observed at all times in that hallowed spot. 

I have a feeling that,  with this beautiful day ahead, my mind will be cluttered with lots of frozen but pleasant images to revive over the years.  The beauty that comes with ever-evolving spring is beyond comparison.  

It more than satisfies my journalistic mind which thrives on frequent change.  That's why folks like me go into journalism, I think, and that's why long winter months of comparative nothingness drive us crazy.

For now, I'm crazy with excitement and ready to take in the natural images of this new and beautiful April day.

Happy Friday. 

No comments: