Friday, June 18, 2010

Fun Times and Friday



Willie and some of the ladies at last night's Delta Kappa Gamma State Convention banquet.

We both had a great time. Pat Stewart, on the right, coerced me into saying yes to speaking at the convention nearly a year ago while we visited in the then Boundary Trader grocery-store parking lot.

I told her only one item could convince me to work up my nerves to do such a thing, after saying no more speeches last year.

A glass of Chardonnay.

Yep, it helped. The stomach nerves stayed in tow, and I had a great time speaking.

Willie had a great time too.

It was a proud moment for a mom and a teacher.

Thanks to Delta Kappa Gamma for having us. We met some wonderful ladies, all teachers, from throughout the state.

~~~~~

This Friday has rolled in to town quickly, despite the rainy days. Now, yesterday had to be a record rain. I think all tolled, I might have spent ten minutes outside, during those very rare semi-dry times.

So far, this morning there's no rain but low hanging clouds. If all goes well, it will clear off and we can have an enjoyable day.

Gardening, i.e., the hope of ever planting my beans and corn, may be dimming this late in the summer. Beans may have a chance, but forget the corn.

I did plant a dozen stalks inside my greenhouse, and they're in the one garden that doesn't have water problems. So, we can enjoy a few ears of fresh corn this summer.

As this rain has gone on and on and on, one learns that urgency must take a back seat to acceptance that things will get done when they're meant to get done.

One of the positive sides to so much rain is my discovery that dandelions must not like it at all. Those little yellow buggers just haven't been popping up and ruining my mowing projects within hours like they usually do. The lawn has been gorgeous through all this.

~~~~~~
Tomorrow is the Women of Wisdom luncheon at the Tango Cafe in Panhandle State Bank, so Debbie and I will be helping with set-up tonight. Bill is going to a retirement dinner in Bonners Ferry, so Willie will probably join Debbie and me for dinner in town.

Tomorrow, Willie heads off to Moscow for a week-long summer-school course dealing with journalism. Next week Debbie will be representing the Spokane Council of the Girl Scouts of America at a Gold Star luncheon in Olympia.

She'll be giving a speech where the Washington governor and the state's U.S. Senators will be in the audience, as well as a lot of outstanding Girl Scouts.

Our Love family speaking circuit has kept us popping this month, for sure.

~~~~~~

That Annie,  with all her interest in soccer,  has the rest of us re-addicted to the sport, and the U.S. is playing Slovenia as I type. So, I'll bid all adieu and wish you all a great Friday.

GO USA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick planted corn last Saturday and is now trying to figure out how to put a greenhouse over the whole thing because it probably won't be ready until November!
Janet