Saturday, June 19, 2010

Saturday Slight



Our annual deer who's not so dear.

Our woods may be off limits for the next several weeks, if this is the same doe who has appeared every June to give birth.
Our first sighting of her came three days ago when I saw her grazing down in the hayfield.

Since then, she's spent time along the fenceline between the woods and our yard/pastures.

She appears relatively unafraid, which is a good indicator that she IS the same aggressive doe who has chased our dogs and even chased our daughter Annie who was driving a 4-wheeler UTV through the woods.

The ol' gal means business, so we keep our distance.  Several members of the family have seen her in action, so there's a healthy respect.

Last year I was pulling up fence wire on the south side of the woods when Kea had joined me.  

Suddenly, Kea came running my way and the doe came crashing out of the bushes behind her.  The deer was nice enough when she saw me to turn the other way.  I was glad.

So far, she's just been slinking through the woods several times a day, watching and probably waiting to have her baby.  When and if that occurs, we'll all be exercising caution if we see her in our proximity.

If she is the same doe, she probably has more reason than most for her somewhat scary ways.  Two years ago she had her fawn in one of the pastures where grass was waist high.  The horses were grazing in the enclosure at the time.  

One of them happened on to the baby.  It shrieked.  The horses gathered around and stomped the poor little thing.  I stood helpless in the lane, listening and knowing that the fawn had met a quick death.

I was also angry at the mother for choosing that spot to have her fawn when she had the entire woods with waist-high grass and no horses.  

It was truly a sad incident of nature.

We'll see what this year's adventures are during her stay and hope for the best.

~~~~~

I'm glad to see that the World Cup Soccer is investigating the refereeing job of yesterday's USA-Slovenia soccer match.  I read that if they find negligence on his part, he'll not referee any more matches during the tournament.

Seldom do I "blame the refs" for losses, but yesterday's decision to call back a third goal made by the USA was eggregious at best.  So far, anyone who has reviewed the tapes can find any reason for his decision.

The story I read also points out that he allowed unusually rough play during the match.

Of course, this may not reverse the outcome of yesterday's match which ended in a tie, but it will at least soothe a portion of the frustration felt by the USA team, staff and its supporters around the world.

~~~~~

Last night after we finished helping set up for today's Women of Wisdom luncheon, Debbie and I  went to The Dish for dinner.

We had planned for Willie to be with us, but Willie's Friday plans changed suddenly at 1:15 when he was talking to Debbie on the phone.  
Apparently, he was looking over the schedule for his week of classes at the University of Idaho at the time.  

"Oh, God," he yelled over the phone, "I was supposed to be there 15 minutes ago!"

Willie had thought the classes started today, when, in fact, they had already started in Moscow when he was home in Sandpoint, just about to start his packing process.

Well, needless to say, packing went quickly, Willie took off quickly and had driven a few miles from his home only to remember that he had forgotten all his shirts.

Oh yeah, he did call the teacher, whose rather pointed comment to him was, "We're waiting for you."  

Apparently, they didn't wait and moved on with the class while Willie made his way to Moscow.

His only comment when we talked to him last night about his harried day was that "It will be interesting."

Anyway, Debbie and I had a delightful time at The Dish, as we always do.  I usually don't eat my entire hamburger, but every mouth-watering bite of the Kobe beef burger was worth the calories.

We also enjoyed seeing the Finney sisters who were happy to reminisce about old times in the Schweitzer Valley Dwellers 4-H Club.  And, yes, Joan, your name was mentioned when I asked your brother George how you're doing these days.  He says you still read the blog.  Thanks. 

And, thank you so much to the Dish staff for the exquisite and tasty creme brulee. To die for, is all I can say, and so nice of you.

~~~~~~~~

After our dinner, Debbie and I drove by our old home on Great Northern Road.  

It looked fairly quiet so we drove in the driveway. 

I know they say you can't go home again 

I just had to come back one last time
                                     --Miranda Lambert
 


I should not have gone there.  

I know the place was purchased for expansion by Quest Aircraft, but still that does not diminish the personal sadness of seeing one's home of 30 years, looking so disheveled----grass, weeds, stuff falling apart, a few flowers growing among the tall grass and weeds, the beautiful barn slowly disintegrating with doors missing.  

Our plaque, thanking the community and John Knowles for building the house in 1985 after our other house burned down, still hangs on the back door. 

Debbie stepped from the car, walked to the porch, peeked in the window, came back and said the carpeting and linoleum had been pulled.  That would suggest that the house will probably disappear one of these days.

They say you should not go home again.  They're right in this case.  It was a sad sight.

~~~~
Well, we've got a luncheon to go to, so I'd better wash my hair, iron my downtown clothes and get on with it.  It will be a nice affair, but I'll also be glad to get home, shed the dress clothes and get back into my jeans.

Country hickdum feels better every day.

Happy Saturday. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Marianne .. for some reason I've never gotten the knack of responding on here so I'll just leave my name in my comment ... Brian Long.

I know what you mean about going "home." About once every year or so, when on my way to or from Court in Sandpoint I will take a little field trip around the Cocolalla Loop Road past the house I lived in from 7th grade until college. It's not so much that the house is in disrepair ... just "different." The horse pasture where my sisters and Mason trained for the 4-H horse show is now a paved circular driveway, the lap cedar siding that I stained and the cedar shakes on the roof, both of which were a summer "job" for me are now replaced with fresh siding and composite roofing. I guess I'm glad that someone lives there, but it's sort of sad that my mom and dad and the rest of us had so many good times there. I suppose we should be happy and embrace the memories from those times and be thankful that we have them. Anyway, your post made me think about that tonight and just thought I'd yammer!