Wednesday, June 09, 2010

I won't mention rain


Everybody talks about it.  Nobody knows what to do about it.  I'm wondering what other subjects there are to talk about besides the weather.  I'm not gonna dwell on it this morning, even though it's sogging up my mind.

Enough of that.  

Let's move on to other stuff everyone can talk about but not do much about. 

One would think that the oil leak in the Gulf could fit into that subject.  Not so.  We can talk about it with a mean tone.  We can sigh with sadness every time we see another oil-soaked Pelican struggling for life.  We can cuss out that BP CEO who wants his life back.  Still, none of that does much to help solve the problem except to soothe our own frustrations.

There ARE people who have gone beyond cheap talk, however.  This morning my in-box contained a forward from my cousin Sue who got it from someone who knows her.  I sent it on to my husband Bill's office address so he could show all the guys as they sip on their morning coffee.

And, I'll bet they'll take a sip, do some watching and say, "Well, gollee gee, they oughta try that."  It makes sense, and I think some good ol' fashioned ingenuity, farmer style,  ought to get some consideration. 

So, I'm gonna do my part and send on the link so you can do your part and send it on to a bunch of other people.  My only concern with this method is that it might lead to a spike in hay prices or that someone will tell me that Snopes sez it isn't so. 

Maybe it's a bogus idea, maybe not.  If nothing else, it's interesting to watch.

But, if it is for real and save billions of dollars, a coastline, pelicans and other wildlife, tourist towns, fishing careers, etc., it's worth dealing with a little high-priced hay.  After all, it's all relative, and our natural wonders should always take precedent over a few minor frustrations here and there.

Here's the link and some introductory comments.  Check it out.  http://www.wimp.com/solutionoil/

Now, if some farmer could figure out how to turn off the spigot in the sky for more than 24 hours at a time,  we'd have it made.  

Did I say it was raining?
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Walton County Florida has actually constructed a barrier made of baled hay...they did this about the same time that the YouTube video was being made a couple of weeks ago. No word on how the Walton County effort has worked, but I haven't heard that their pristine, white sand has been damaged (the sand there literally looks like snow). I did hear a piece someplace yesterday that the hay idea was being discarded by the federal government as one in which the negatives offset the positives....there was no elaboration, though, so I can't provide details. I personally think the idea is practical, though, and I'm hoping that the folks in Ft. Walton Beach and Destin are vindicated. Might make feeding horses a bit pricier, though.

MJB