Thursday, October 21, 2010


~~~A bug-splattered view of the Byway~~~

After smooth sailing for 6 hours and 45 minutes from Seattle yesterday and figuring I was gonna pull into our driveway by 3 p.m., I met a roadblock. 

Instead of 3 p.m., my arrival to the Lovestead got bumped back by nearly half an hour.  Let's see:  what percentage of a 350-plus mile trip did I spend sitting and driving the last ten miles?  That would be a good math problem.

Yesterday's abrupt halt to my "getting-home" progress reminds me of the old days when the kids were attending Boise State University and I would make the 450-mile trip two or three times each year to visit them.

Invariably, the 8-9 hour drive home would come to a screeching halt  and a lot of cussing when I'd pull on to Great Northern Road and see those telltale blinking lights.  

A train had pulled up and parked at the crossing.  It could sit there for the next half hour to 45 minutes. Our house was a quarter mile away on the other side of the tracks.  If I decided not to wait, I could drive another 4 miles to get home.

Yesterday's glitch in my desire to get home by mid-afternoon turned out a little more pleasant than those hours spent at the train crossing.  

The scene, even with all the construction materials, was glorious.  People were walking their dogs and biking along the new path to the right with a backdrop of golden trees. 

I opened my window, and a pleasant October sun immediately warmed my arm.  After about five minutes, I decided to make good use of my idle time behind the wheel.  

I called my mother and enjoyed a nice visit.  She was happy to hear that the trip over to celebrate Annie's birthday had gone so well.  She had just enjoyed a nice visit with someone from St. Joseph's who brought her Communion. 

We talked about today when Mike and Mary would come and when I'd pick her up for her monthly doctor's appointment.  And, we talked about Annie and her upcoming trip to Maui.  She takes off at 9 a.m.  Not a bad birthday week for that young lady!

Anyway, finally,  the cars ahead of me started moving, so I said good bye to Mother.  I think one of those humongous iron girders was being moved into position for the Byway.  

I didn't mind the break from driving one bit---because of the weather and because those delays are signaling  a day when the trip home from long trips to wherever will have probably no obstacles.  

And, that will be a good day.  Go Byway!  Keep those girders coming!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A few years ago, during one of our almost annual floods, they closed the road while I was away from home. I was 11 miles from home and it took me 300 miles and 6 hours to get here.
Glad you had a great time with Annie - but you always do!!