Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday Slightly Cold




I know, I know:  I've got a one-track mind about the Border Collies, but this shot was too much to resist.  I'll never catch one like that again---especially to see Kiwi running without Kea attached to her neck.

Anyway, I had to use it this morning cuz I'm kinda proud of it.  

The doggies went on two romps yesterday through cold fields of snow.  And, the cold fields of snow kept them either romping or occasionally standing and looking longingly at me with a foot in the air.

Those pads on their little feet got cold.  

Cold doesn't stop them, however, from wanting to go---all the time, regardless of weather.

So, we went to the woods and to the fields.  I broke a pathway through the chunky but still powdery snow along one of the fencelines.  Then, I tamped it down several times, tromping back and forth----without snow shoes.

It was, indeed, beautiful all day yesterday even with the cold.  

This morning a cloud cover has cut the intensity of our frigid zone, and a surprise snowstorm is due in tonight.  Somehow, once again, the weather forecast has changed a bit. 

Maybe in April, those early robins will be glad they returned.  Right now, I don't know where they're hanging out, but they arrived a couple of weeks ago, and like us, thought spring would come early.  Silly birds!  Silly people. 

~~~~

I've looked at the extended weather forecast for Sandpoint and for Dublin.  I'll take Dublin.  It's not quite like escaping to Arizona or California, but it's clear for at least the first few days we're in the country.  Clear and 45-degree days, high 30s in the nights.  

In my mind, heat isn't the reward; it's walking on bare ground and seeing green.  I think we'll accomplish both while taking in the sights in the country of our ancestry.  

We've got plenty of Irish in us.  Dooleys and Brown's (Browne's) on one side, Crossan/Robinson's on another and for Annie, she can throw in some Irish Loves who emigrated from the isle to South Carolina.  

It's been fun talking with friends here who have a wee bit of the Irish in them and hearing their stories about the counties or areas where their families lived.  In our case, we'll be looking a little closer at counties Mayo, Kerry and Donegal.  

And, I'm betting that we'll even see a few Border Collies, which will be especially helpful to me as I go through withdrawal from four BC's a day. 
~~~~

I've mentioned my friend Rick Gehring, who suffered a stroke almost three weeks ago in Palm Beach, FL.  The family has set up a blog to report progress in his recovery.  

So, today I'll post the address, and you can read for yourself how things are coming along for Rick and Ann.  It's called "Slow and Steady Wins the Race," and you can find it at http://www.seaturtle67.blogspot.com/

I'm sure continued prayers for his recovery will be most appreciated.  

~~~~~

Call me an educator, a public one at that, retired eight years but still thrilled with our two state senators who broke party ranks this week and supported the public school teachers of Idaho.  

So, once more I want to thank Sen. Shawn Keough and Sen. Joyce Broadsword.  They voted on the losing side of the proposed education reform in Idaho, but they won the hearts of a whole state full of teachers.  In the long run, I don't think they'll have any regrets for their courageous stand. 

And, while we're at it, many of us here feel very fortunate to have our local State Legislators, which also include my buddy George Eskridge and Eric Anderson.  

They represent their constituents well and with integrity.  So, a special thanks to all of them. 

~~~~
Enough politics.  We've got a ZAGS game tonight, and we're hoping they'll seal the deal on their league championship.  

Once again, the ZAGS have done their work----helping thousands of their fans make it through yet another long, long Northwest winter.  

May they succeed tonight and next week at the WCC tournament, and then, let the dancing begin!  

Go ZAGS!!!

No comments: