Sunday, February 06, 2011

Super Sunday and the Packers



I'm wearing my green sweatshirt and yellow polo Tee.  That's about as close as I can come to supporting my team in today's Super Bowl.

It's looking like a fun day ahead with a few family members possibly dropping in at any given time during the day.  My sister asked me yesterday when the game was.

"All day," I said. So, she said they may "drop in" rather than planning any predesigned start-to-finish visit.  

I told them there would be food.  I also told Willie that I was sorry we don't have a cool TV like he does as his house, but we'll have food.

Sometimes food wins out, especially with Willie.

So, if Debbie can drag herself away from the "Puppy Bowl," which runs all day on the Animal Planet channel, we may see them and the grandpuppies for most of the festivities and the food.

Bill knows his assignment as party organizer----of course, I'll let you know that Super Planner Mama Love here has arranged for plenty of back-up, just in case.  

Bill doesn't know exactly what the main dish will be yet, but I'm sure he'll do well.  

Anyway, there's a game to talk about, not just food.

I'm pulling for Green Bay today for several good reasons. 

1. Seattle is no longer in the running, nor is New Orleans.  Regular readers may note that I've mentioned on other occasions that I support all three pro teams.

2. I've been to a Green Bay Packers game at Lambeau Field.  That was a while back, and it was a pre-season game.  The Packers played the Denver Broncos, and I think the Broncos won.

That didn't matter, though.  I was just happy to be there.  

Being the bathroom connoisseur I am (never a bathroom anywhere I've ever been that I didn't visit at least once).  

What struck me most and stayed with me during my Lambeau Field potty stops was how nice all the women were while waiting their turns in the restroom.  I felt at home with all these friendly Midwesterners. 

So, that's a good reason to support Green Bay, right?

3. The most historical play ever made in Super Bowl history---next to that of the referee's intervention when the Seahawks got cheated out of victory against the Steelers in their Super Bowl match-up---was made by Sandpoint's Jerry Kramer, No. 64.

Well, at least Kramer's block back there in the 1960s remains the greatest in the minds of anyone who ever grew up in Sandpoint.  And, we're sticking to it.

We're also sticking to the idea that it's high time Mr. Kramer got inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  And, today's game should give note to that.

Spread the word while people's minds are on football and the Packers and Jerry Kramer.

4. Green Bay should win because of its namesake here in North Idaho.  Just like knowing about Jerry Kramer, virtually every kid who ever graduated from Sandpoint High School can tell you of a Green Bay experience.

And, that's the Green Bay out there over the hill from Garfield Bay on Lake Pend Oreille.  Green Bay and adventure and stunning beauty go hand in hand.

So, of course, that's a good reason to support Green Bay and its Packers.

5. They call those folks from Wisconsin "cheese heads," and we're serving up plenty of Tillamook medium cheddar today, only cuz I don't know where to get any Wisconsin cheese in a pinch.

And, besides, it's pretty hard to put a hunk of steel on a plate and tell someone to enjoy its flavor and texture. 

6. My brother and his wife lived in Green Bay for a while, and that's why I've had experience at watching the Packers firsthand in their own stadium and using their toilets in the midst of those friendly Midwesterners. 

And that reminds me----I'll ask Bill to pick up some Charmin toilet paper (produced in Green Bay and where my brother worked).  

For today's game, the guests can wipe with Charmin.  

"Every little bit counts," said the old lady as she peed in the ocean.  And, if we keep that in mind in our bathroom today and use that Green Bay-produced tissue, I'll bet it will help the Packers win another Super Bowl.

Go Packers! Stuff those Steelers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maianne - your day sounds fun and interesting - I won't elaborate at this time who I'm rooting for.

I have been rather remiss in not reading your postings more frequently - however, I enjoy reading the history of the area you describe (being a newcomer since 1998) I'm still learning.

Want to share some good news -- yesterday Chix in the Kitchen had a chili cookoff at the new Laughing Dog Tasting room. What a wonderful experience when you go in the door - absolutely fantastic-large bar - tables and chairs - wide open room - (take your pet - don't know about your horses) great beers to taste. Another wonderful local place you can take the family to. They are definitely an asset to the community. Meet you there for a beer one day - my treat.