Saturday, February 05, 2011

Saturday Slight



Schweitzer's back side was spectacular this morning.

The photo is enhanced a bit but not much.

Often, in the mornings while walking through the kitchen and when I pay attention, I can see half a dozen different images of the mountain within minutes.

It all depends on what the sun is doing---or not.

This morning when it peeped over the Cabinets in the east, the sun gave us a splendid sight in the Selkirks in the west.

~~~~

After doing my chores this morning and listening to the "CHEEEEEZeburger" birds competing for attention near the woods and the front yard, I came in and announced to Bill that we had a lovely February morning out there.

"Not quite what you could call early, early spring, but close," I added.

It's difficult to adequately describe what our senses communicate to us when early, early spring comes, but I do know that we're not quite there.

Still, I'll take today's offerings.

I'll probably also take the blankets off the horses and let their hides air out on this dry day which is slated to reach the 40s.

~~~~

Speaking of horses, I may have discovered the secret to eliminating their fence chewing, and it doesn't cost a cent.

It's called branches.  

One day several months ago, I was too lazy to walk to the woods with some branches I'd cut from an apple tree.

So, I threw them in the barnyard.  

The horses went crazy with them and soon had them polished clean, all bark gone.

A month or so ago, I trimmed some more apple branches and purposely threw them into the horses.

Again, you'd think I'd handed them a bag of grain.  

So, this week while walking through the woods, I picked up about half a dozen pine branches and delivered them to Lily, Lefty and Heather.

There's been no fence chewing, but the barnyard is strewn with polished pine limbs. 

I won't mind cleaning them up in the spring if it saves some fence boards.  They have done a real number on the fence this winter, in spite of that bucket of "Quitt" that was supposed to get them to stop chewing.  

They did not quit until the branches started showing up.

So, I'm hoping this inexpensive discovery will solve a major, frustrating and expensive barnyard problem.

~~~~

 Willie takes off for Moscow soon.  The SHS Bulldog girls and boys will be playing several games today.  His junior varsity season winds down this next week, and I think he's really pleased with the progress of his team in this first year of coaching. 

We'll be at Barbara and Laurie's watching the ZAGS take on Memphis.  We'll see today whether the ZAGS are back or if this year is going to continue as their rollercoaster season. 

Tomorrow we'll just hang out here at home, with plenty of food and TV.

Fortunately, Fox 28 and Direct TV decided to take a break in their hostage situation by letting us suscribers have the channel back for four weeks.

Word is they'll continue negotiating during the next month.  My bet is they'll agree to disagree and then agree.

After all, what leverage does either side have with a TV season winding down into reruns and another Super Bowl in the history books.

And, while I'm discussing TV, how many out there love Kathy Bates and her new show "Harry's Law" as much as I do.

She is and has been,  hands down,  my favorite actress, ever since I first saw her in Misery.  

If ever there were a celebrity interview I'd love to do, it would be with her. If anyone has any direct contacts with her, let me know.

In the meantime, I'll keep enjoying her new show, which I'm betting will soon top the ratings. 

~~~~

Taxes:  this weekend.  Must finish.

Yup, that's one of my goals.  

I put in an early effort,  getting things organized about three weeks ago, but the pile has sat on the counter ever since.

This morning, I printed off last year's print-out of expenditures and income and will put it in plain sight downstairs where it will hopefully get major attention this weekend.

I always figure that when the tax information is complete, the rest of the year can move on.

Besides, once the taxes are done, I can look ahead to next month when on this day, Annie and I will be doing the Ring of Kerry and on the next, horseback riding near Killarney.

Hard to believe but hard to get excited yet until those taxes are done.

~~~~

Hope everyone has a great Saturday. 

1 comment:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Misery was so good!!!