Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What in the World Wednesday


First, it was a blank mind facing a blank screen.  Then, a title popped up.  I kept trying to forget it, but it wouldn't go away.

So, the blank mind has a title to put on the blog posting:  What in the World Wednesday.

By now, most readers have probably noticed that I like alliteration in my titles. I also like to have the titles deliver in each day's blog posting on whatever I've promised.

That was a lesson oft repeated to my students over the years to guide them on a path through whatever they happened to be writing.  If you promise at the beginning, be sure to deliver throughout.

So, here I am with the Wednesday "What in the World," and I've got to fulfill the promise. 

Comes a time in people's minds when it seems that virtually every subject has received ample discussion. It seems that way this morning, but let me pick my brain for a minute.

Aside:  what do people use to pick their brains, and wouldn't it hurt? 

Okay, that said,  what in the world would strike my fancy today?

Well, for one thing, I just read a former student's posting on Facebook.  She issued a disclaimer after letting everyone among her friends know that if they want a baby born on 11-11-11, they'd better get into action today.

Her disclaimer was that she didn't have such plans for today; she just wanted others to know.  So, I was glad to know that but probably won't put it to use.

On Tuesday, I learned of a "what in the world" story from my overseas military journalist that she had dragged "full-bird colonel in a bunker the other day as we were getting rocket attacked--it would have been easier to drag a bale of hay:)."  

So, we know that in the world straight from Baghdad on this Wednesday morning that a colonel is still walking around and probably very appreciative for each breath taken after being saved by my journalist friend, who, by the way,  has had some experience dragging bales of hay.  

I've also learned for this Wednesday morning that the developer of the iphone app for Confession wants to be very careful about sending me any information because of other published news releases that have painted the wrong picture of the digital app he created for approaching the Catholic sacrament of Penance. 

He wanted my MO before giving me any information.  I told him I appreciated his concerns, but I also confessed to him that the material will appear in a possible column about "you've come a long way, baby" in using the telephone. 

Another "what in the world" that I can introduce on this Wednesday is that there's going to be a benefit dinner/auction for Alan McNall, March 26.  Alan and his wife Robyn were my Border Collie Kiwi's original owners. 

They're lovely people and longtime Grouse Creek-area residents.  They've been over in Seattle for several weeks where Alan is being treated for a brain tumor.

So, I'll do my part in promoting the event because they're both people who have given so much to this community.  I know our Lovestead Border Collie nation will bark out their support for the McNalls at this time.

I'll provide more information as I learn it.  For now, yes, Alan can use some prayers. 

Here's another what in the world would I tell you on Wednesday, again learned yesterday.  Moriha Leen Yetter is selling her home-produced honey at Miller's Country Store on Baldy and Division.

Moriha got into bee-keeping a few years ago, and she's come quite a ways with her business plan, even spending time during the winters in California while her bees are down there buzzing away and making more honey.

Moriha's my horse-show buddy.  She is part of the Leen family dynasty which runs two of the major horse shows here in the summertime.  

Every year, she keeps track of all the points earned by riders who are vying for hi-point awards, and she spends a lot of time up in the announcer's stand with me.

She's a great lady, and I tasted her honey last night after purchasing a quart.  It's good stuff.  

So, if you're local and in the need for some sweetness, stop by and pick up some of her honey.

Well, I guess that's enough of "what in the world" for this Wednesday.  Actually, we writers and talkers can usually find something.  Once more my blank mind filled up with some fun thoughts to start the day.

Happy Wednesday.  What in the world do you know?  Considering my one Facebook friend's reminder up above about 11-11-11, I won't ask what you're doing today. 

Postscript:  I looked at my email and the iconfess man has written.  He wants to me to talk to him on skype, which I don't have, and he told me to "ping" him.  

What in the world is an old fossil like me supposed to do when told to ping?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Surely you would CONFESS to him that...

Florine