Monday, March 28, 2011

Birthday runs begin


Three birthdays on Facebook today and one later at lunch.  Thus, begins the string of days when it seems to be all things birthday with family and close friends.

I'm sure every family has the same story.  So and so, so and so and so and so, all born the same week.  


My brother's birthday is tomorrow.   I discovered this morning, one more family member's birthday is today, and he's a cousin in Chicago.  That reminds me that my cousin in Northern California has a birthday Wednesday.  

The next day is my dear friend and former student Chad's, then Willie's, then Bill's, then a break, then my sister, then,  the triplets and then remembering my dad. 

By that day, it will be April 12, and sure enough, I will have forgotten a few. Facebook helps one not forget; sometimes I forget to take the time to send them good wishes.

This morning I remembered.  I've met my cousin Jerry in Chicago only a couple of times, but it's hard to forget the guy who towers above most of the other relatively "short" cousins.  So, to Jerry, here's another happy birthday.  

Mandy is also celebrating a birthday today.  She's a former student who loved photography.  Mandy now lives in Denver, and I see that she and another former student, both of whom went with us to the Mile High City on a journalism trip back in the early '90s have connected.  

Then, there's Jessie.  She's my daughter's age.  I had her as a graphic arts and English student, and she was a dandy at both.  She's living around this area and fully engaged in her work and her family.

Later, I'll be (don't tell) the mystery guest at my buddy Boots' birthday lunch.  I don't think Boots reads my blog, so I think I'm safe telling the world that his 76th birthday is today.

And, it's pretty special for Boots.  One would think that reaching the milestone of three quarters of a century would be the big one.  But for Boots, this birthday probably far exceeds anything he celebrated last year.

Boots has just conquered a bout of colon cancer.  I think he received his assurance last week that he's cancer free, so it's definitely reason to celebrate.

Boots Reynolds is the famous cowboy cartoonist who does all the funny cards for Leanin' Tree and the Western Horseman magazine.  

So, I'm sure this birthday doings is going to be a fun one and a special reason for Boots, his family and his friends to celebrate. 

Gotta go----doggies are here.  Maybe more later, and if you're celebrating a birthday today, I'll send you greetings to have a good one.

No comments: