Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesdaytwitterdeedripdripdrip



I just read that we are experiencing the third wettest March on record.  What a surprise!  And, they say it's not gonna stop.  So, my first news this morning is no news.  It's pouring rain.

When I complained on Facebook the other day (would I complain about rotten weather?), my friend and attorney Bill Berg chimed in with some information he'd read.  

He said that the same weather forecasters who predicted the winter we've had fairly accurately are now saying the only dry month we're going to have this year is July.  

He punctuated his information with, "Wear a hat!"

Thanks, Bill, for raining on my parade! 

Well, maybe when Bill and his wife Mindy are marching through the Fourth of July Parade, promoting Panhandle Alliance for Education, they won't have to wear their hats CUZ their parade is in July.  

Well, at least the last couple of days have offered some breaks and a few opportunities to get at the yard work.  So, I won't complain too much.

It's supposed to be in the 50s-plus tomorrow through Friday, so some of my animals around here----stinky dogs and itchy horses---are gonna get some baths in that warm weather.  

When stinky dogs stink at least 50 feet away, it's time to do something.  Even if they roll in the mud afterward, the basic skin will be clean for a while.  And, maybe they won't stink.

I'm thinking Lefty, my itchy horse, could use a medicated bath for his sensitive hide.  

Speaking of horses, I have one who's an escape artist.  Miss Heather was standing in the aisle of the barn this morning---out of her stall.  Surrounding her was a 40-pound shrink-wrapped shavings container with several holes in it.  

Shavings were strewn down the aisle where she had taken the bag and dragged it almost to the barn door---two thirds of the way through the barn. 

The nice, neat bale of Dahlberg alfalfa that I had just cut open yesterday was scattered---what was left of it, that is---all through the aisle.  Several items sitting on the shavings bag pile were all over the place.  

She had also opened the lid to the grain bin, but that must have been just before I reached the barn because, fortunately,  the grain inside and Annie's coffee can of dogfood had not been touched.  

When I was gone, Bill bought a snap to put on the end of one of her stall latches.  There's also a chain on the other side.  

She learned long ago to open the latch that is so tight I can hardly shove it into its slot.  She also knows how to slip the latch along with Bill's new metal snap through the slot.

I figured the chain on the outside would keep her in the stall. Nope.  Last night she pushed and pushed enough that the chain and its staple came completely out of the board.  

So, today I'll be stopping by Co-Op to get yet a bigger, stronger chain.  Horses can be amazing escape artists, but Heather's one of the best. 

Since it's raining today, I'll probably spend time putting more seeds into pots.  Did I mention that the moles have already started on my tomatoes in the greenhouse? 
The top of one 'mater plant was snapped off cleanly when I inspected the greenhouse garden Sunday morning.  That meant a trip to town to get another lamp---this one with a clamp.  

I've heard moles don't work in the light, so I'm hoping the overhead lamp going all night will do the trick.  Last year they had a fine time with my cukes.  So, I know their potential.  

We seem to be overcome with moles throughout our yard area anymore.  I've heard of various methods to get rid of them and am considering some.  

But I probably won't try the method my friend Boots used last summer----lighting up several mole holes only to look off somewhere else to see his lawn burning up.  

I guess moles are probably about as big a nuisance as horses with trained lips.  

Never a dull moment even on one more rain-soaked day in the third wettest month ever.  

Now, I'll go get that hat!  Happy Tuesday.

No comments: