Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Tuesdaytwitterdeesomesun


The view out the upper bathroom window a few minutes ago:  garden almost underwater in foreground, first horse pasture, second horse pasture not showing its water from this angle.

I thought about putting the horses in the hayfield, which is the third enclosure toward the trees.  The hayfield has high ground with a swale running through it.

The horses could get some mud relief, but that move is definitely a pay-me-now or pay-me-later option.  Even minimal activity at this time of the year would ruin most of the hay. 

So, I guess it's a trade-off of webbed feet now, ample food in the fall and winter.

~~~~

It may be short-lived, but we welcomed the sun and a little blue sky this morning.  A slight wind was blowing, giving me hope that may a percentage of the standing water around here might disappear.

I packed hay around the back of the barn and threw it over the fence this morning.  Walking in the barnyard without sinking almost knee deep is limited, and it will get worse as the frost melts and more rain drops.

Bill's forecast this morning was to expect another half to three quarters of an inch of rain today and possible standing water on farm fields.

Well, at least the second part doesn't even need to be predicted cuz it's already happened.  As the photos shows, we have plenty of water in our farm fields.

In spite of the rain which fell steadily after the morning snowstorm, I managed to get one of my rough-shod planters built.  Wore my snow pants all day to keep dry.

Some of the planter was assembled in the shop, while the second half was completed once I stuck both ends in the ground.  It was easy to dig holes for the corner braces.

It looks a little on the really rough shod side, but I've got a plan to dress it up with some extra boards.

This is a planter made from cedar shavings boards which are used for huge bales of shavings.  My sisters purchase dozens of bales each year for their horses, so they have stacks and stacks of the boards, all the same length. 

For a less-than-skilled carpenter like me, they work well for planters.  Plus, the cedar makes for easy nailing.  An up close and personal inspection reveals the lack of polish in the builder, but from a distance, when painted up and loaded with posies, they do the job.

~~~~

I heard on this morning's ski report that Schweitzer has received 18 inches of snow in the past couple of days.  Conditions are marvelous for spring skiing, they say.

In spite of all the new dumps on the mountain, they'll be closing this weekend, so at least their calendar says it's spring, even if the mountain does not agree.

~~~~

We sampled a new idea last night for dinner.  It's a Dijorno's pizza with chocolate chip cookies.

No, the cookies are not on top of the pepperoni pizza; they're in a packet of their own (one dozen of them), and you can bake your main dish and your dessert side by side.

The pizza is almost gone, and the last six cookies went with Bill's lunch this morning.  They'd rank about a 5 on a chocolate-chip-cookie-tasting scale, but the combination baking package was a fun change of pace. 

Annie and I bought lots of cookies for our on-the-road time in Ireland.  It's fun to see what other countries do with their sweets. 

I'd like to try my own kitchen version of my favorites.  They were gingersnap sandwich cookies.

We also liked the Irish cheddar cheese and their over-sized saltine crackers.  Except for the crumbs all over the car, cheese and cracker treats were nice on the road. 

~~~~

Enough on the cookies---I'm getting hungry and should get outside during this dry spell.

Happy Tuesday

1 comment:

Florine said...

I hope you've found the Dubliner Cheddar at Costco. It's a white cheese, of course.