Monday, April 04, 2011

White Monday












Well, there's Black Friday, so why not a White Monday.  Let's see what can one do on a White Monday in April? 

I did mention earlier today the possibility of building a snowman and naming it Meltdown. 

"Meltdown,hurry up!"

"Meltdown, get over it!"

"Meltdown, when you're done,  I'll give you a carrot nose!" 

All kinds of possibilities for conversation with this April 4 snowman!  Just a few more flakes, and we'll have plenty of construction material for the project.

Silly me, thinking I could dig out the sod and get it ready for the new planter I'm building.

I started that yesterday after hurrying and scurrying around, knowing that sunshine wasn't gonna last. 

Two horses have a lot less winter hair this morning after some intense rubdowns with the rubber curry.  Too bad for them.

But that Heather, our escape artist, played hard to get in the barnyard yesterday, and I wasn't gonna chase her down through all those bogholes, which have formed as the ice beneath the surface has melted.

So, Heather has most of her winter coat this morning, and she's probably got her nose in the air, thumbing it at her buddies as they freeze in the barnyard bogs.

At least, she stayed in her stall last night.  Brooke did not stay home yesterday.  She figured on using that sunshine, playing some spring ball with Duke next door at Wes and Alicia's.

But I got over there during the first inning, opened the car door, yelled, "Load up," and Brooke jumped in the car-----smell and all.

Yup, I was out there digging in the front yard sod, which had gone from soupy to slightly damp after a few hours of sunshine.

Bill rolled in from church and asked, "Do ya want to do something for the rest of the day?"

"Well, yes," I said, knowing that I'd wear myself out trying to get three months' worth of work done on our one sunny day allotment for this month.

So, I mixed in a little pleasure, grabbed my camera and joined Bill on a drive out to Gamlin Lake.  (Helen, we noticed maybe you haven't been driving up Evergreen Road lately).

Anyway, once at Gamlin Lake, Bill announced that there were some other trails to try.  So, we drove over to Camp Bay and parked at the entrance to the Kalispel Indian property, which borders Livermore Lake. 

We enjoyed our walk through the fields, past a couple of old home sights and one fallen down barn, held up only by the aspen trees that have grown in and around it. 

It did rain on us, but lightly and briefly, as we stood atop several moss-covered knobs on the mountain.  No good views but pretty moss. 

As we started back we walked through a somewhat boggy area and heard a critter crashing through the woods.  I suggested to Bill we go the opposite direction, so we did.  And, we found our way back out of the woods after a 2.4 mile walk. 

Of course, I took pictures, mainly to document the fact that the sky has been blue in April, albeit for a short time. 

Right now, the sky is gloom-and-doom gray, and I'm thinking as I look at the time (7:27 a.m.) that it was 7:30 yesterday morning when Kathy Chambers tortured all the Sandpoint Spring Break stay-at-homes with a photo of her toes and the swimming pool in the background where she's staying in Mexico.

Eat your heart out, Kathy.  I'll bet you won't get to build any snowmen during your Spring Break. 

Furthermore, I bet you don't even care. 

Happy White Monday.  Enjoy the pictures. 

2 comments:

Knotty Dogs said...

Gorgeous photos!

MLove said...

Thank you. Just signed up to follow you and your doggies!

Didya know my son used to work as assistant sports editor of the Idaho Press Tribune: William Love.

He and his wife Debbie own our grandpuppies: Todd and Brooke.