Friday, May 20, 2011

Last Friday


I'm gonna type as fast as possible this morning cuz there's much to do, much to do before the deadline when we're all gonna get flat-lined.  

Annie reported helicopters flying over Fremont yesterday (that's where she works in the Seattle area), and she figured it was an omen.

Kinda spooked me too, cuz she's very likely correct.  They didn't say helicopters would show up, but we've witnessed other historical happenings when they've played an integral role, most recently the end of Osama bin Laden.

But this upcoming event is much bigger.  Tomorrow is scheduled to be the end of the world, and I bet we could see a lot of helicopters hovering in strange places today.

So, I'm not wasting my time this morning.  My list of "things to do" before saying good bye is long.  For starters, there's that run to Samuels Store to get some more lawnmower gas. 

Gotta finish off the lawn before Mother and her gang of friends show up this afternoon to see the Lovestead.  

Mother has taken on tour directing in this latest stage of her life, and she likes her friends to see the horses at Colburn and to drop in on Marianne.

So, I've got the brownies made and the lawn almost polished off.  If it weren't for those damned dandelions, I wouldn't stress a bit about their visit.  

Maybe the dandelions are so prolific this year cuz they know it's their last stand, and they're going out with a big boom when the big boom or whatever's gonna get us tomorrow occurs.

I'd like to climb aboard Lily today.  She has new shoes and a new cowboy snaffle bit, but I probably won't take her far cuz of that equine herpes virus that seems to be shutting down a lot of horse activity.  Maybe that's another sign of impending doom.

Bill is gonna take off early from work and head up Trout Creek to see if he can find some fish one more time.  

This evening we plan to avoid the crowds and turn toward Hope for our Friday dinner date.  It will be nice to admire the lake one final time and to make another round on the peninsula to count the deer. 

I don't know how much of the day we can plan on tomorrow, but we'll do our best to make the most of it.

One concern I had about the end of the world coming is that not all the finales have happened on TV.  How are we ever going to know who won "American Idol" or this season's "Dancing with the Stars"?

That Boston Rob guy lucked out on "Survivor" cuz he won his million this past Sunday, and I bet he's hurrying up to spend it.  

I wonder if he will survive this last big challenge on Survivor Earth.

And, Oprah.  Now, there's the big one.  

I know they've already taped the final show, but who's gonna be here to watch it and to look really closely at Maria Shriver to see just how well she's hiding her disdain for her philandering "in-your-face, Maria" husband.  

Will we ever know if Lance Armstrong really did take performance-enhancing drugs?  Oh, I guess we're not supposed to know that yet,  cuz the "60 Minutes" airing is scheduled for Sunday, and we're going to be history before hearing the dirty details of the accuser's story. 

At least, Katie Couric got say her good byes.  Maybe there should be stock sold in Katie, cuz her timing has been as close to perfect as anyone's in the "last hurrah" department. 

I hope the Preakness gets over before the world does.  If I die tomorrow, it would be nice to know if there were ever another chance for Animal Planet to win the Triple Crown, even if he only earns two jewels. 

Finality does bring up a lot of thoughts, and I've got plenty more.  

But I don't have much time, and as one who's quite used to working under a deadline, I'd better quit my mental dawdling and get on with the program.

Enjoy this Last Friday, and do have a good supper wherever you are. 

Ye gads,  I just heard a helicopter . . . . really, I did.  It's flying over in the eastern sky. 

1 comment:

Mary said...

We women of the Gazebo have opted to max out our credit cards at Nordstrom's today so that we can dress in style for the Final Countdown. We do plan to leave the tags on our finery just in case we're still around on Monday and have to do a reverse Cinderella.