Monday, May 09, 2011

Monday Miscellany



~~~Mother on Mother's Day, 2011~~~

I believe my mother had a good Mother's Day weekend, with visits from kids, lunch with kids, church with kids and a Sunday drive with kids.

The photo above was taken at my sisters' house where they had prepared a great lunch of croissant sandwiches, chips and cookies. They were taking her for a drive afterward.

In the photo, she's wearing her new "bling" blouse from Eve's Leaves.  

As one who seldom goes "downtown" shopping, I must report a great experience with owner Marilyn Dalby Sabella and her helper Mary Vale.

This weekend, Marilyn was celebrating 30 years in business.

My experience in the store made me wish life weren't quite so busy; I'd do that style of shopping more often rather than constantly being on the run.

The Mother's Day weekend was fun for me too.  Flowers and a call from Annie, a new garden ornament from Bill and specially prepared dinner from Willie and Debbie.

They brought over spaghetti and garlic bread, which Debbie says Willie has down to a science.     It was a delicious spread and much more meaningful than dinner out.  

The big weekend has ended, and we move on into May with a promise of not one---but TWO---dry days this week.  

Can't complain about yesterday because the rain sidepassed us, and we enjoyed a fairly pleasant day.

I spent a few minutes yesterday morning at the Ponderay Garden Center.  And, I must say "they've come a long way" since their first year of existence.

Going to the Garden Center these days is a magical happening, to say the least. 

The place (the old Kalk farm) just north of Sandpoint along HWY 95 has shades of the old Arcadia Greenhouses, only even more enhanced.  

Classical music playing and different buildings housing different specialties make for a fun visit. 

Under the leadership of Kevin, who says the center is fast becoming a destination place, the whole experience of strolling through the beautiful and varied offerings is nothing short of delightful.

I want to go back and spend more time, even if I don't have a lot more money to spend. 

Yesterday I brought home another solar-powered garden butterfly and three new starts of rhubarb.  In five years, our token rhubard plant yields almost enough for a pie, so it's time to add to the patch. 

Today I'd like to direct any readers who didn't visit Slight Detour over the weekend to yesterday's post about my former colleague and friend, Rick Gehring.  

One more time, I'd like to encourage people to spread the word about the fundraising campaign, created to help bring Rick home closer to his family for his rehabilitation.  Thanks for your help.  

On today's agenda, I'm figuring bean seed will go into the ground, along with more transplanting of onions.

I'm hoping the ground may dry enough for the horses to have a little time out in the pasture.  They're getting less and less patient, standing in the mud and looking at that grass growing.  

And, mouse eradication will continue.  Yesterday, another dozen went for a swim, but there are plenty more where those came from. 

The day that the barn is not hopping with creatures scurrying along the walls, in the stalls, in the grain buckets will be a day for celebration.

One little critter was so bold the other day that it sat on the edge of Lefty's grain bucket with a big mouthful of corn just staring back at me.   No sign of guilt whatsoever!

Well, time is a wastin', so I'm headed outdoors. 

Have a wonderful Monday.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish I had brought you rhubarb - both to eat and cook with and starts for another year. As with every spring, we are overwhelmed with it.
Thanks for joining us on Thursday. It was a good start to the weekend.
Janet