Monday, June 20, 2011

It's coming . . . .they promised us



April, May and June showers bring wet flowers.

I remember in Of Mice and Men when George constantly told Lennie how it was gonna be.  They'd have the farm, and Lennie could tend the rabbits.

One scene in Steinbeck's novel portrays a very excited Lennie who can almost see the farm and the rabbits.

Sadly, readers saw a different end to the story.

I'm hoping to report a better end to my story of "almost seeing it."

The sun, that is.

I'm not planning to tend any rabbits, but I'll be downright giddy if we have a couple of days this week reconnecting with the sun.

I'll probably tend my yard, garden, doggies and horses with a little more skip to my gait.

And, maybe, just maybe some of those winter coats can go in the closet for a while.

The elusive sun makes crazy people out of some of us and the hope that we'll see it makes us even worse.

I've noticed on Facebook that some of the photographers have taken on a different attitude:  if you can't beat it, join it. 

Take pictures of wet flowers, and, yes, they are very pretty. 

The flowers have kept their heads up as much as possible during this seemingly never-ending spring of wetness.

It will be fun to see how proud they stand to greet the sun.

As for me, "Bring it on." 

And, as I type, the rays are actually finding their way through the east window.

Ahh!  I like it.

Tomorrow is summer, so the sun had damn well better show up.

Let's call this redemption week for all the weather broadcasters.

Let's call it barbecue week for all the audience members who have gotten really tired of Tom pretending that the past several days of cold, wet weather have been perfect for the grill.

Bill grilled in the rain yesterday, and those short ribs and chicken breast tasted mighty good.

Today, in addition to dryer flowers, will come more barbecuing and a more exercises for my lips and crooked teeth.

Both have missed the smiling workout for some time.

Again, bring on the sun.  Bring on the smiles.

Also, if you want to see some more smiles, you can visit the Women of Wisdom gala page where I've posted some photos from Saturday's gathering.


Happy Monday.

No comments: