Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Along my way on a lovely day . . . .



Never in my wildest dreams could I conceive a sight like this during an evening horseback ride.

I have the picture to prove it. 

Dave built his stilts.

Lily and I came along about four minutes into Dave's first stilt-walking ever.

He was happy to have me come on in his driveway and snap some photos. 

We both hoped that he'd remain upright on the stilts long enough for me to pull out my camera.

I also hoped that Lily would not get too upset at the sight of a man on stilts.

Didn't bother her a bit. She just didn't like standing around while I visited.

Ten minutes later, Lily and I left, and Dave was feeling quite proud of himself, still on his stilts.

I asked him how he intended to get back down to ground level. He pointed to a car and said he'd lean back on it and escape.

I'm hoping he did.  In the meantime, Lily and I headed north, enjoying the sights and sounds of a pleasant June evening.

Deer stood like statues in fields along the road and stared at us as we plodded by.  Birds chirped happily.

A few dogs came out to bark or to greet us.  Thousands of bugs remained a presence throughout, but they apparently had already satisfied their appetites.

What a wonderful way to end a beautiful day!

Lily and I completed the entire Forest Siding loop last night, including about a mile of Selle Road.

Happily, Selle Road quiets down in the evening, and the few cars that passed us did so slowly and carefully.

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire day with weather which allowed me to paint a section of barnyard fence, do some weed eating and mow some lawn.

Last Saturday evening while biking down East Shingle Mill Road, I met Michele Murphree. She's a Master Gardener and one of the forces behind the school gardening program here in the area.

She invited me to show up at Northside School on Monday to see what the students there are doing with their garden club project.

So, I took her up on the invitation.

Northside teacher Janet Clark works directly with the students with help from Michele, other Master Gardeners and parents.

Students Ronnie and Katie Korn showed me their garden plots and the scrapbook the group has assembled since the garden project started last year.

These students and their advisers will be working every week throughout the summer on their gardening project, which is pretty impressive.

Before I left, one of the parents handed me a plastic bag with a small selection of seeds---squash, beans and corn.

The information inside the packet explains that they are the "three sisters."

The three apparently take care of each other when planted together in the garden.  

"The beans climb up the corn stalk, and the squash shades the soil,"the explanation reads.

So, I'll plop the assortment into the ground and see what happens.
I believe this school gardening project is one of the most worthwhile enrichment programs we can offer students, especially at the elementary age.   

Nothing better than learning a lifelong skill and a lifelong means of sustenance.

Hats off to those adults and organizations who have provided the vision and support of this project, which I understand is growing around the area, like a good garden. 

By the way, Mr. Stilts Man,  Dave, and his partner Emily are fine gardeners in their own right.  They sell their goods at the Farmer's Market. 

I wonder if Dave will bring his stilts next time they go to market.

Anyway, the long-awaited summer has come in fine style, and if the next few days are anything like yesterday, I'll press the "like" button.
Happy Tuesday.  

No comments: