Saturday, August 27, 2011

Saturday Slight


Bill has been watching hurricane coverage this morning.  I'm guessing people can watch hurricane coverage constantly for the next 24 hours or so as the storm moves up the Atlantic coastline.

The more I see of the coverage the happier I am that we live in a low population zone and that the worst worry we have today is how hot it's gonna get.  

At 5 yesterday afternoon, when I looked up at the temperature in the car, it was 95.

The newspaper tells me we have two more relatively hot days, and then we cool down to the mid-80s.  I'll take that. 

Anyway, on this beautiful Saturday, I've read on Facebook that Annie's on her 5-country geocaching tour today.  She posted a photo with her thumbs up in France. 

Tonight the geo-coinfest has its "meet-and-greet," and tomorrow she'll stay put in Cologne for the official gathering. Then, the next day it's on to Munich, where the locals are organizing a big welcoming geocaching event for her.

Willie and Debbie are enjoying their last day of fun in Canada and will be driving home tomorrow.  That gives Willie two days at home before the official responsibilities of another school year begin on Wednesday.

Again, a summer has zipped by, but I'd say all the teaching members of our family have made the most of it.  So, they'll be ready to start their new school year. 

By the way, Barbara and Laurie participated in the digital photo challenge yesterday at the fair.  If you're on Facebook, you can promote their efforts by befriending "BonnerCounty Fairgrounds," going to the wall, scrolling down to the photo contest, where it says 7 photos.

Barbara's photo is a goat showing its teeth, while Laurie's is a smaller photo of two little girls with a goat.  

Turns out that the organizers turned it into a "vote for" contest.  So, if you want to help my sisters out, just click "like" on their photos.  Voting closes at noon Pacific Daylight Time.  

I ended up missing the contest because of a missing dog.  Mr. Todd, who's very very sensitive, mistook my plea for the dogs to quit jumping at the hose water while I was washing off the lawnmower yesterday.
When I said, "Let's get away," Todd must have misheard and thought I said "go away."  So, he did. 

This is not a new thing for Todd,  as many readers already know.  I have gotten to know his habits when he decides to flea----ultimate destination: a garage or shop where he can curl up and lie low.

My only problem is not knowing which garage or shop he chooses.  Last time Todd left because of the fireworks, he traveled four miles before finding the right place.  

So, I spent my morning yesterday driving through Selle, talking to neighbors and coming back home,  each time hoping someone would have called because they had found him and read his ID tag. 

Turns out Todd did not go far.  This time he chose Taylor's shop across the road from us.  By the time I picked him up and brought him back, the photo contest was over.  

So, I decided to go to the herd-dog competition, figuring I could pick up some tips about herd dogs who decide to run away. 

By the time, I walked to the outdoor arena, the herd-dog competition was over.  

Nonetheless, I did enjoy some nice visiting and several quick hellos to folks I seldom see.  The time spent there was hardly a loss.  

The fair ends today, and this evening we'll go pick up our entries, ribbons and money.  All in all, it's been a great fair.  The displays this year may not have great numbers, but what's there is high quality.  

We were especially impressed with the 4-H wood working exhibit.  Unbelievable craftsmanship. 

The fair organizers did a wonderful job showcasing this year's exhibits.  So, hats off to all who work so hard behind the scenes. 

Guess it's time to get outside and start the morning watering. So, I'll just wish everyone a great Saturday, and if you're on the East Coast, I hope your hatches are buttoned down. 
 

No comments: