Friday, August 26, 2011

A Fair Friday, Indeed


Annie's giving a thumbs up to her first geocache found in Belgium yesterday. Since then, she's taken off for Cologne, with a planned stop for geocaching in The Netherlands. 

Probably as I write, she is touring the Cologne Cathedral, Germany's greatest Gothic church and home to relics of the Three Magi.  

The magnificent church, with its construction spanning from 1248-1880,  was bombed during WWII, but survived amidst the bombed out ruins around it.

More information and photos can be found at http://www.sacred-destinations.com/germany/cologne-cathedral

Annie told me there's a geocache in or near the church.  So, I'm sure she'll add that to her list of finds.

Meanwhile, back here at home, my sisters and I will be competing in a digital photography challenge at the county fair.

We report at 10 a.m. with cameras in hand.  They'll give us two or three themes to choose from.  Then, we'll have two hours to go shoot pictures around the fairgrounds.

Upon our return to the office, we download our best photo, and judging goes from there.  

Like geocaching, I'm guessing this assignment will give us each a clearer perspective of the many wonderful activities available at our annual fair.

This morning's schedule at the fair includes the herd-dog competition in the outdoor arena, so I'm a bit torn.  Maybe the theme I choose will allow me to take in the event while shooting photos. 

I'd like to take the grandpuppies so they can watch---and watch those Border Collies do.  I can remember one year taking Kiwi and having to hold on to her for dear life while sitting in the stands.

She wanted to leap right out there into the arena and do her work, but the poor dog had to settle for being just a spectator.

We accompanied Mother around the fair yesterday.  She enjoyed seeing all the exhibits where we had competed as well as the fish and game building.  It was hot, but she was a trooper all the way. 

Guess that's all that's on my mind this morning.  Bill took off a while ago with the new-old motor home.  It's going in for some maintenance work.  He says he's planning to talk to them about doing some other projects at a later date.

I guess the big news, which I've learned has been quietly circulating around the community, is that Bill is retiring, with his last day Sept. 30.  

So, that new-old motor home is gaining prominence on the "to do" list so that he "can do" some fun stuff once he's free from the 8-5 grind.

Definitely good times ahead.  For now, I'd better get ready to head to the fair. 

Happy Friday. 

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Congratulations, Bill! News of your retirement has sent seismic shocks and volcanic activity throughout Northern California: Mt Lassen just exploded in anticipation of a visit by Bill and Annie!

Word Tosser said...

WAY TO GO BILL... Congrats.. now you will be busier than ever.. lol...