Thursday, August 25, 2011

This and That Thursday


I stayed up late last night, 'til after 11.  I tried to sleep but  kept thinking about Annie flying over the ocean.  She told me earlier this week that she would be arriving in Brussels at 8 a.m. their time.  

So, I came to the computer around 10:45 and spent some time visiting my favorite sites.  While I was away from Facebook for a moment or so, she touched down in Brussels.  

Her host, a Brussels cab driver and avid geocacher, was waiting to meet her at the airport and had already welcomed her to Belgium on Facebook.  

Within minutes of the "Yay, Brussels airport," Annie had already received three or four shout outs from around the world.  A good reason to love Facebook.

I yelled downstairs to Bill that Annie had landed in Brussels.  He yelled back, "Good."  So, I let her know we were happy that the first portion of her trip had gone well.

She sent a brief email note this morning, saying she had met Koen's family, that they are very nice.  She wishes she could speak Flemish so she could understand what they're saying, but she kinda likes not knowing too.

Annie has been busy geocaching and checking in at key times (like breakfast)  on Facebook ever since.  Tonight she'll go with the family to attend a memorial concert for the victims of a stage collapse last week, just as tragic as the one in Indiana a few days before. 

Anyway, we're feeling thrilled that she arrived safely and is now full speed ahead with her plans. 

Back here in North Idaho, it sounds like we've got another hot day ahead, two in fact, before it cools down a bit.  My enthusiasm fizzles as soon as the heat turns up too much.

I know that at least one of my dear friends and blog readers who deals with furnace conditions for months probably does not sympathize. Sorry, Mow.

Still, in my mind,  mid-high 70s year round would be okay with me and very helpful for my ambition ignition. 

Not much I can do about it, but gripe, so I'll do my best to survive the day.  It will involve picking some more beans this morning and pulling some of the many lettuce plants in the garden that have gone to seed.

I'll throw them out in the north manure-pile garden and hope that a few volunteer plants pop up next year---for the deer to enjoy, of course. 

It took almost 24 hours to empty Big Blue, the pool,  with the siphen-hose method, but Pasture No. 1 may green up in a few spots.  After all, a few thousand gallons of water should do some good.

On another subject, if anyone knows anything about ornamental plum trees with thorns on the branches, I'd like to know if those plums are edible.  

One of my trees is loaded with pretty wine-colored fruit.  If it's edible, I might use the plums for some jelly.    So, experts:  let me know. 

My other plum trees have about half a dozen plums apiece.  Again, this year I've learned that thousands of blossoms don't exactly translate into bountiful amounts of fruit.  Two of the apple trees have demonstrated that trend too.

The smaller tree of the three fruit-bearing trees is loaded with nice apples, but  winds of the past several days have blown several to the ground.   Horses are happy.  Always something. 

I'll probably go to the fair again today.  Rose Marie and I enjoyed a nice visit while sitting on a bale of straw and eating our brats.  I also met a teen author who has his booth set up on the grounds. 

He's from Bonners Ferry, and his name is JR Parker.   He writes fantasy and has done quite well with his first book, selling 4,000 copies in the past year or so----one book at a time at signings and readings around the country.  

Funny how age makes no difference when authors get together and swap stories about writing and the trials, tribulations and little triumphs associated with selling books. 

I really enjoyed meeting this young man, who seems to have his literary journey well plotted out. 

Guess that's enough for this morning's yakkedy yak.  I'll be heading to the garden while my ambition meter is still reading above average.  

Happy Thursday.

No comments: