Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Warm Wednesday


I think today may be one of the hottest days of 2011 here in North Idaho.  I saw one temperature prediction of 93.  Bring out the fans!

Big Blue, my pool,  still sits misshapened in the yard behind the barn about half full of water (coated with leaves).  I've been in the pool twice this summer for about five minutes each time.  It's been sitting inactive so long, though, that the water may not be the best for swimming.

I'm thinking of running one end of a hose into the pool and putting the other end in a strategic place where a little water would do a lot of good---maybe Pasture No. 1. 

This wacky weather year has truly been one of extremes.  Now, we're dealing with no rain in August.  Pastures which were drying up two weeks ago are getting a case of the crispies.  Grasshoppers are in their glory.

I don't want to ask for rain, but I think one day's worth would be nice. 

On this soon-to-be-hot Wednesday, my daughter Annie will soon be in the air, bound for Brussels, Belgium.  When she arrives there, it will be 8 a.m. Brussels time, and she'll spend Friday geocaching before heading to Cologne, Germany on Saturday. 

This weekend, there's a Geo-coinfest in Cologne, where Annie and a colleague will be representing Groundspeak.  Part of the festivities include geocaching in several countries during one day. 

Annie is extending her trip beyond her work responsibilities and planning to spend some time in Switzerland, so her world adventures continue. 

We'll have cosmopolitan kids for a few days cuz Willie and Debbie are vacationing in Canada.  They'll be back sometime this weekend, and I know their doggies will be glad to see them.

Every late afternoon, the watch begins.  While we're watching the news, Todd and Brooke are situated in the living room, watching toward the back door, thinking surely that either Mom or Dad will come walking in. 

I can't even say the words, "Mom" or "Dad" without sudden bursts of excitement and races around the house.  Bill and I are nice substitutes for Mom and Dad, but the real deal means a lot to Todd and Brooke. 

In other news, my sisters and I did all right at the fair.  My sister Barbara took two champion ribbons with her photography.  Her butterfly on a thistle and her humorous photo of Pita in heart glasses earned places on the purple ribbon special display.  

You can check out her work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/misstshs/  I think you can find those two photos with a little searching around. 

All together,  we won 16-18 ribbons in photography, which made us all very happy.  Laurie won blues with her beadwork, and my garden goodies netted about half a dozen ribbons. 

Meanwhile, today is "Brat Day."  My outlaw (her husband's sister is my sister-in-law) Rose Marie Thompson and I will get together for our annual bratfest at the fair.  We missed last year cuz Rose Marie was headed off somewhere on a train trip. 

Anyway, we eat brats and get caught up on our visiting.  She says there's a tractor event at 2, and her husband Jim is very involved in the large antique tractor display at the fair.   So, for Rose Marie it will be brats and tractors. 

For me, it will probably be some more visiting and checking out other exhibits at the fair, if I don't melt away, that is. 

Enjoy this warm Wednesday, and stay cool! 

No comments: