Sunday, September 04, 2011

Alpine Awe . . a World Apart



Who could improve on this jaw-dropping image?

Annie sent me this photo this morning from the hike she took yesterday in Switzerland.  

"It was a great hike," she wrote. "6 hours but I think we took more like 7.  Took one of those steep, slow trains up to where we started the hike,  then hiked to a gondola that we took down to a very cute town, where we took the train back to Interlaken.  

You and Dad would both love the hike," she added.   "It's a popular trail so lots of people, but the views are amazing and you get to see/hear lots of cows along the way.

She sent good news and bad news also.  The good news (for Mom anyway) is that weather is preventing her from going after the death-defying geocache.  

The sad/bad news is that she lost her good camera lens while taking a picture of a waterfall today. "Sick to her stomach" is how she describes the feeling.

I just received another note from her, stating:  You can mention that it [the cow above] was my last favorite photo taken with that lens.

One of my sisters experienced some photographic disappointment yesterday when we drove to Roman Nose Lake.  
Her camera battery died.  No picture-taking for her.

But Laurie's comments were as valuable as a good photo.  

"This is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen," she said, while walking the board walk around the lake.

Good reason to go back a second time in a week, I thought. 

We enjoyed added excitement when we reached the rock slide at the far end of the lake:  a moose just behind us on the trail.  

My sister Barbara snapped some great shots of the slick, fat critter as she fed on leaves along the trail.  

We enjoyed a wonderful afternoon.  Bill and Kiwi fished while Barbara, Laurie, Pita, Kea and I walked around the lake and went up the trail above the lake.  

I think we'll be returning in a few weeks when the colors change, but yesterday's tranquil beauty needed no boosting.

Definitely a "doesn't get better than this" day.  So, if all goes well, I'll post a few more photos from one of the gorgeous alpine settings in North Idaho.

And, yes, definitely,  Dad and I would enjoy hiking where Annie visited yesterday.  

No comments: