Friday, September 23, 2011

This across My Desk Today


I can't remember the news person who used to tell us about items that had come across his/her desk, but it seemed like idea to steal this morning.

My desk here at the computer needs dusting---badly. 

I'm surrounded by piles of papers, TV remotes, a dead lightbulb, a telephone book opened to Idaho's zip codes, CD's, a heart-shaped rock given to me by Annie when we were in Ireland and a piece of paper where I've been scrawling notes of things I need or want to remember.

Words like "cell-phone tower systems, mesophiliac powder, Fred Hutch, Dogs 4 Life, Personal History by Katharine Graham, names like Julie Meyer, Skip Pucci, Kelli Keough, Cathy King" and even a telephone number (which I won't divulge), along with a whole lot of other words have almost filled every available space on the 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of copy paper. 

Betcha'd like to know what that's all about, wouldn't you?  Well, here's a hint:  cheddar cheese, SHS alumni, one person's career path and a Facebook page theme.

That's enough details for now, but this piece of paper lying on my desk also reminds me to start telling all SHS alumni that Homecoming Week at Sandpoint High is in mid-October, and they're gonna have a party for Bulldog alums and their families.

I can tell you now that the "before-the-big-game barbecue" is FREE to alums and their families, and it's scheduled for Friday, Oct. 15 on the SHS front lawn.  

The barbecue, coordinated by SHS Student Council, will run from 3:30-5 p.m. and the "who" on the invite says:  Alumni and students are invited to celebrate Homecoming together through games, food and events.

Of course, they'd like you to wear red and white, and I think they want everyone to march from the school to the game after the barbecue.  

There will be more information concerning this event crossing my desk in the next few weeks, so stay tuned.  For now, mark it on the calendar and tell other alums you know to do the same.

Besides the aforementioned items, I just noticed that my watch is sitting on my desk, and it reminds me that there's not a lot of slack time for me over the next three days.

Today I'll be taking my mother to the Idaho Draft and Mule Show at the fairgrounds.  Looks like a good day for the event, and I'll plan to take along my camera too.

After that, I'll hurry home, change clothes and head to town with Bill for a Society of American Foresters banquet at the Sandpoint events center aka old junior high/high school/Ninth Grade center. 

Bill left early this morning to catch the bus bound for the Priest River Experimental Forest.  The SAF group will be touring the 100-year-old, 6,368-acre plot set aside in 1911, as one of the nation's first experimental forests.  

Tomorrow, my friend Melissa will come over, and we'll be taking a young horse and a slightly older, more experienced horse for a ride down the road.  

Yesterday, my neighbor and classmate Gary Finney told me I could ride on a trail through his place, so we'll probably combine road experience with trail experience.

Later, I'll be heading to town to help set up for a fall tea honoring the community's Women of Wisdom.  Sunday we'll have company in the morning and I'll be taking Mother to the tea in the afternoon.

That reminds me to stop by the grocery store today and pick up some more supplies for the 50 brownies I'm baking for the tea. 

Anyway, it's for sure that watch on my desk reminds me that I need to stay on task to take in these activities while attending to the day-to-day needs around the place.  

With that, I'll wish everyone a great first day of autumn and a happy TGIF. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you manage to cram so much into your days, Marianne - you amaze me! Puz