Monday, October 24, 2011

Stuff


Things are almost back to normal for our family, but my brain's output seems pretty limited this morning.  
Guess I've been focusing on one topic and pretty oblivious to the outside world.
There are a few items, though, to report.  
I just read this morning on Facebook that my niece (Mike and Mary's daughter Maureen) went back to Washington, D.C. to a national conference to receive a big award for her outreach work with families and children.
Here's the basic headline:  The Alliance for Children and Families awarded the 2011 Spirit of the Alliance Award to Maureen Peterson Oct. 18 at the Alliance and UNCA 2011 National Conference in Washington, D.C. Peterson is a therapist at Alliance member HopeSparks in Tacoma, Wash.
So, congratulations to Maureen.  We're very proud of her. 
~~~~Annie spent time at the Oregon coast this weekend, staying at the "Blue Motel."  It's no longer blue, but it was when our family first stayed there more than 20 years ago.
Over the years, the motel expanded and improved.  It now offers a condominium-style stay.  Would love to go back and stay there again some day.
I haven't heard if Flamingo Jim's is still over in that area, but when Annie was a little girl she was fascinated with the place, which offers those big pieces of cement yard art.
Annie did tell me yesterday, however, that she has seen lots of Jersey cows over there.  There have been not-so-subtle hints that I need to get a Jersey cow to wear the cow bell she brought me from Switzerland.
Must admit it's a tempting idea, even though none of us is adept at milking cows.  I figure if we had this cow, we'd share with its calf and milk her when we feel like it.  
Do cows allow that?
The thought of a cute little Jersey grazing in the green grass with its lovely bell tingling through the air next to the lane is pretty appealing.  
Who knows what might happen?
Let's see what else has kept my interest this weekend?
The fall colors have turned ever so spectacular and I need to get out there with a camera to snap some more photos.  Hard to believe, though, that we'll be moving into winter bleakness soon.  
Somebody asked me yesterday if I was ready for winter.  
I simply replied, "I'm always ready for winter  . . . to end, and it seems like it just did."  
He nodded in agreement.
We have no choice, though, to roll with the weather punches, and I am glad that we have that shelter out there for the horses.  
During the heavy rain the other night, three horses had plenty of room to stand under a roof and keep dry.
Soon, they'll be standing or sleeping in their box stalls at night.  Hate to get back into the shoveling stages, but again, we don't have too much choice in the matter.
Guess that's enough brain engagement for now.  I'll move on with the day, and maybe tomorrow I'll be back in normal gear.
Again, thanks for your good thoughts.  Have a great Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Flamingo Jim's was doing well as of a year ago. We haven't been there yet this year. We always stop by there when in the area - never know what we might find.
Janet