Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Bring It On . . . .


Some aspects I welcome.
Some I don't.
Still, we're just about ready to take on the big changes headed our way.

I went to Spokane yesterday on a mission:  Gonzaga basketball posters, Trader Joe's and a Costco run on the way home.
I came back with my posters and some wallet schedules.
Nice folks there at McCarthey Center.  
Thanks so much to Whitney for solving my problem once I was told only two posters per person at my usual pickup place.
The walk out the door with posters in hand for family and friends offered an added bonus.
The women's basketball coach was walking in the door as I was walking out.
Pretty cool to see him in person. 
I also came back with several items from Trader Joe's.
That mission almost went bust for this claustrophic-prone shopper.
I was okay while grabbing a pack of chips and two packages of cheese, all the time carefully maneuvering through the bright red, brand-spankin' new shopping carts, driven by oodles and oodles of folks who probably waited,  just like me,  "for the crowds to die down."
When I rounded the end of the first aisle and saw even more swarms and even less cart-driving space, I did what claustrophically-prone people do.  
I started putting my three items back on the shelves and decided to return on another day.
Then, I spotted the restrooms (always very important for this claustrophobically-prone person whose gut goes bonkers in such situations). 
The pathway to the restrooms offered about the only clear space within the store.
So, armed with a dose of newfound courage, I turned my cart around, grabbed my bag of blue chips back off the shelf and resolved to "do this."  
My gut settled down and so did the claustro stuff.  
The crowds did not.
So, as I aimed the cart through what looked like a check-out line, I grabbed:  a pecan pie, some carrot cake sandwich cookies and two bottles of cheap chardonnay. 
I should have grabbed one bottle of cheap chardonnay at the very beginning, sampled some in the car and then come back into the store.
But I had to drive home, so good behavior and common sense ruled decision-making.
My line, which was probably in the "Grand" check-stand aisle (the check-out stands are named after streets up there on the South Hill where the store is located.
Once I knew for sure I was in line, the wait was about ten minutes.
I asked the friendly checker how crazy it was on opening day.
He said 90-minute waits but that the people were all very nice.  
He said also that he'd received a record number of hugs that day and later caught a cold.
He did give me a Trader Joe's shopping bag---only after the lady before me got one and the lady after me asked for one.
I asked him if there was a certain look required for free Trader Joe's bags.
"Just a smile," he said.  
I thought I had smiled, so when he handed me the bag, I gave him a semi hug, said "thank you," went on my way and resolved that shopping for today had ended.
Sorry, Costco!
So far, Bill and I have sampled the cheeses, the pecan pie and a carrot cake cookie sandwich.  All good. 

So, my bucket for yesterday's mission came home two thirds full, and I'm sure Costco will survive without my money.  After all, I keep hearing how they've poured millions into that Washington State liquor initiative. 
Once home and ready to enjoy some more exhilarating autumn air, I went to the barn and readied the box stalls for the horses---clean shavings and hay.
Tonight begins the transition from their staying outside at night in the barnyard to several months of nights in the barn.
That means tomorrow I'll be shoveling again, but I don't mind it.  
Just have to get myself mentally ready for the long-haul of morning and night chores. 
The horses will go inside tonight because the weather forecast looks pretty wet and cold for the next several days.  
We've had a gorgeous fall, and I guess it's time to face the winter challenges. 
But we're pretty much ready for another winter.  
So, I say, "Bring it on and let's get it over with."  
While we do that, Gonzaga's Bulldogs will provide us some joyful moments for the next few months.
And, I've got my posters, so I'll know exactly which days to get excited.
Now, it's time to get outside and enjoy this last day of beautiful fall weather.
Happy Wednesday. 

No comments: