Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Good Food, Good Fun

Well, I couldn't find any Bull Durham, and I went back to Big R Twice yesterday, but that did not diminish the fun my mother and her friends getting guzzied up for a down-home Western barbecue last night.
I learned while completing my assignments yesterday that tobacco displays don't include Bull Durham these days.
Even the lady at Cigarette Express told me it's been a while since she's seen a sack of the "roll-yer-own" tobacco.  
Darn, I thought, and, darn, my mother later said, "We should have saved some of those baggies Harold used for his smokes each day. 
Mother went the day without a baggie hanging from her pocket.  
After returning to Big R to get a bigger Western hat (kids' size) and the red bandanna instead of the blue that she had ordered earlier, I helped Mother organize her ensemble.
The Western belt with buckle turned out to be a bust.  Seems all my buckles have problems with the metal clamp coming off.
I tried duct taping one buckle together, and it worked until Mother visited the ladies room and it fell off the belt onto the floor.
Somebody tried to help her put it back together, but it fell apart again.
She still had a good time as did her friends.
Barbecued ribs, corn-on-the-cob, rolls, coleslaw, baked beans and lemon cream or apple pie made for a delicious meal.
And the old-time Western music throughout dinner with Harold Overland and his band set the tone for a wonderful, nostalgic evening.
Folks told me Mother was happy all day, and that's what it was all about. 
Now, we've got to get her all revved up for this Saturday's Gonzaga-Hawaii game, which will probably be our first official ZAGS family gathering for the winter.
The other games have been on too late for the family stuff, but this one's at 5 p.m., so it will work out fine for everyone. 
Then, comes Thanksgiving planning.
I think our Mother has some good times ahead, but I don't know if any of those events can top the fun she and her friends had yesterday.

~~~~
On another note, my friend Denise of Denise and Pierre who own Arby's restaurant in Sandpoint asked for her friends to spread the word that the RUMOR circulating around Sandpoint that Arby's is closing for the winter is NOT TRUE.
They're open as usual.  
~~~~
Also, I've been meaning to note that my sister Barbara has some very nice photos on her Flickr site.  And, for anyone who's a quilter, her autumn scenic color quilt is especially nice.  

Now for more photos from the BARBECUE.  Happy Wednesday.

3 comments:

Word Tosser said...

The restaurant that closed for the winter is Kentucky Fried Chicken... it has a sign on the window and door... I told Ken that it was Ken and my fault.. since we went on the diet in April ...all the restaurant are having a hard time. lol... but seriously we were surprised at KFC.. as a lot of people go there during Christmas shopping..

Anonymous said...

Barbara's pictures are fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

Julie / Orlando

Mary said...

Barbara's photos are beautiful, and so are yours. Those of the Wild West celebrators at The Bridge are just fun! I'm glad your mom had a good time.