Monday, November 28, 2011

A Recount Needed . . . Damn!


I've been in a relatively good mood today.  
The weather forecast says we have more than a week of mild weather ahead.  
Barn chores went smoothly this morning; in fact, I almost had a skip to my step while distributing hay in the barnyard and cleaning stalls.  
Even more snow is likely to recede over the next few days, allowing additional room for walking on bare ground.
And, on the way to go get the paper, I did my daily count.  
"Let's see, this is Nov. 28," I thought to myself. "That means three more days of November and 21 days in December, so only 24 more days of darkness. Just over three weeks and with good weather through a portion of it, we should breeze through this year's darkness before the light."
During this thought process, I also remembered the December schedule of events I'd read yesterday, where someone claimed that Winter Solstice was Dec. 22.
What ever happened to the seasons changing on the 21st of each respective month, anywho?
Has to be wrong, I thought.
Well, my wishful thoughts and reality are two different things when it comes to solstice times and season changes.
Of course, I did some research this morning, hoping to find that my assumption was right.  
Sadly, as often happens with me, the ol' "to ASSuME makes an ____ out of u and me," kicked in. 
Now,  I know that I'll have to add one more day to my count toward enhanced enlightenment.  
Here's what I've learned this morning after a lifetime of thinking the 21st was a key day four times a year.
December 20 and December 23 solstices occur less frequently than December 21 or December 22 solstices in the Gregorian calendar. 
The last December 23 solstice occurred in 1903 and will not occur again until the year 2303.
A December 20 solstice has occurred very rarely, with the next one occurring in the year 2080. 
After reading all that, I'm really glad that we missed the Dec. 23 solstice 108 years ago and that we won't have to dread another one in our lifetimes.  
At least, I'm ASSuMing we won't. 
All I've got to say is "double darn" that I'll probably not live long enough for the short countdown in 2080. 
If I'm lucky, though, the next few years may offer a break from the disappointment I'm experiencing this morning of having to add one more day to this year's countdown.
At least, the 2011 winter solstice occurs just after I get up on the morning of Dec. 22, so does that mean I have to get my hard-boiled egg out the night before.
And, will I have to prop it up to see if it really stands on its own BEFORE I have my first cup of coffee?
Trifles, trifles----all because of this solstice stuff.
Still, it's a mighty nice day out, and the weather forecast is helping me get past this little glitch in my worldly knowledge.
The one thing I do know for a fact is that none of the encyclopedias have changed the date for Christmas.  
And, so far, no savvy retailers have had the guts to try to market the holiday twice yearly just to help the bottom line.   
With that absolute still intact, I know that time is winding down for all Santas to get that list compiled and to check it twice. 
I'd better get on the stick cuz Black Friday has passed, as has Small Business Saturday.  Somewhere I read or heard that today is Cyber Monday.
If I blink, I may miss ALL the deals.
And, I'll be left with an intriguing question to ponder.
Why is it that these "bargain" shopping days speed by so much more quickly than those leading to the Winter Solstice?

No comments: