Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lovestead Critter-Corner Report


There's nothing more gut-wrenching than that dreaded day when it looks like "it's time" for a pet to meet its maker.  We thought that "time" had come for our Annie Dog this week.
She's a Yellow lab, just months shy of turning 16.  We've been told it's unusual for big dogs to live that long.
Annie Dog looks a bit like a junkyard dog these days.  After all, she's old, skinny, stinky and moving much differently than she did in her younger, busier days. 
Annie's also incontinent---both No. 1 and No. 2. She's been living in the barn for more than a year.  
So, in the mornings I'm usually cleaning three stalls and a pile of dog marbles.  Yeah, they aren't logs any more for Annie.  They're like over-sized marbles.
The trip to the barn each night, leading Annie, who is SO stove up and tired that she can hardly put one foot in front of the other, takes great patience.  I've learned a lot of patience over the past several months---from Annie.
Please note the description given with Annie's attitude during the trip to the barn.  
Any other time, the old gal can move from one place to the other so fast that she's almost been run over a time or two in the driveway.
Someone gets in their car, thinking that Annie's hundreds of feet away.  After all, she was a second or two ago.  
I swear there are still speed-demon cells working inside that old frame cuz she's had some close calls, suddenly appearing directly behind or in front of the moving vehicle. 
We thought the end was coming for Annie Dog this week because,  after treating a spot on her leg which she'd been licking for sometime, I discovered that she had an ingrown dewclaw. 
I could not imagine anyone removing it without surgery.  Plus, I was sure Annie Dog was filled with all the ravages of old age.
Having taken more than my share of pets on their last trip to the vets, I asked Bill if he would take Annie to the Center Valley Veterinary hospital just north of my sisters' place.
It was agonizing as we had to wait two days for the appointment.  
The strategic thinking before taking her was that if the dewclaw removal turned out to be no big deal, Bill was to bring her back.  If not, let her go. 
Well, I can report after Tuesday's appointment that Annie is still acting like a stove-up, miserable, pathetic old pup when I lead her to the barn at night.
And, I'm still cleaning up those green boulders.
Annie's new lease on life came from the fact that the vet just snipped that dewclaw right off, found a little ear infection, took blood and urine tests, handed Bill some antibiotic and anti-inflammatory and said take her home. 
Her tests showed nothing of concern.  Her leg feels better without the dewclaw sticking in to her flesh, and she can still move from one place to the other pretty darned fast---when she wants to. 
So, Annie Dog, we find you amazing!
Barn cleaning has changed, though.  
Yes, I'm still cleaning up after Annie Dog.  She stays out there with her kitty friends who snuggle up next to her at night.
Heather left the Lovestead yesterday for a lovely new home on a hillside about three miles down Selle Road, just behind the Clydesdale farm.
I told her she was gonna get to live in a palace, compared to her home here.
Susan Beebe wanted an Arabian, and a friend told her about Heather.  She called me last week.  She came and met Heather and fell in love. 
So, Bill and I hauled her to Susan's yesterday morning.
There was yelling and screaming, cuz Lily rode in the trailer with her.  Bill had to wait with Lily in the trailer down on the road while I walked Heather up a long driveway to Susan's indoor arena.
And, when Lily arrived back home, it was obvious she missed her friend.  Even this morning, she was looking for her.
I find it amazing how Lily (the boss lady in the horse corral) treated Heather like dirt all the time.  Still, Heather loved her, and I guess Lily really loved Heather after all.
My one goal with Heather was that she could find a home as good as or better than the one she had here for four years. 
She has, and I've already seen that Susan will love her as much as I have.  Susan and Heather will spend the month of April working with Roxane, who knows both very well.
The plus side of this is that I can concentrate better on riding and working with two horses than three.  
So, I'm looking ahead toward the spring and summer, putting more time into Lefty and finally getting him to pull that beautiful cart. 
Stay tuned. 
It's been a stress-filled emotional week here at the Lovestead, regarding the animals, but I'm feeling much better knowing Annie is doing okay and that sweet Heather is living in luxury. 

No comments: