Friday, February 10, 2012

ZAGtastic!



There's no other way to start out on this Friday February morning:  ZAGtastic!
Now for the cliche:  What a Game!  What a Game!
I told Bill this morning that if the ZAGS don't do accomplish anything else this season, they have created great joy this morning in ZAGland.
Coach Mark Few's Bulldogs soundly and impressively won last night's rivalry contest with St. Mary's.
The ZAGS gods smiled upon the players, the student body, the coaches and all of ZAGland, guiding the team to a brilliantly played victory. 
Congratulations, ZAGS!  Keep it up! 

Today I'm going to the Pack River General Store to interview an individual for a story assignment.  
I'm planning to treat this interviewee to whatever high-calorie, mouth-watering dessert she wants to eat.  And, I'll have some myself too. 
While asking her questions, I plan to savor every bite of the treat along with a cup of French Roast coffee.
The general store on Rapid Lightning Creek Road usually has a nice offering of fresh and homemade goodies.
Last night my basketball-watching diet consisted of one SHS warmed-up hotdog in a bun with a squeeze of mustard, three or four bites of popcorn, two pieces of Tillamook cheddar cheese, a few handfuls of Tim's Cascade potato chips and a bowl of Meadow Brook French vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate syrup.
Pretty typical of my diet when we have Bulldog and Bulldog basketball doubleheaders. 
Why am I confessing the sin of eating that stuff?  
I read some commentary in this morning's paper about all the heat Paula Deen is taking in her TV kitchen because she's diabetic and she has the nerve to promote Southern cooking.
The Spokesman writer suggested that some of these hypo-critics need to look in the mirror before pouncing on Paula Deen. 
I agree.
Let the poor woman eat what she wants to eat and cook what she wants to cook on her show.  I'm sure she approaches her diabetes and her eating fairly rationally.
If I ever make it to Savannah, I plan to give her restaurant buffet a try:  sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, deep-fried Twinkies, fried chicken, cheesy meatloaf, greens, beans, and creamed corn. Every meal is served with a garlic cheese biscuit . . .
I can't believe that people's eating habits have become such a hot-button item in our "land of the free."
I hate to imagine a time when we have to be as sneaky in public with our eating choices as my brothers and I were as youngsters, stealing all the goodies from our mother's cupboard. 
Eating choices, like anything in life, need to be approached with a sense of moderation and with just plain common sense.
If you're unhealthy because of what you eat, get off the couch and do something about it. 
If not, enjoy the culinary delights that make your day. 
That's my beef, and I'm sticking to it. 

I can hear the squirrels chattering pretty vociferously outside.  I'll bet they're hungry.  I'll go sneak 'em some peanuts! Don't tell anyone that Marianne's squirrels get too many peanuts in their diet.
Happy Friday.

No comments: