Thursday, February 09, 2012

Fast and Furious FeBRUary


Hard to believe we're a third of the way through this month.  Seems like the first portion of February has been a whirlwind.
While I'm at it this morning, how many others out there get irritated about the month of FebYOUary?  
Doesn't exist.  Never did, except from the mouths of lazy lips.
Let's get over the resistance of using our mouthing skills properly and give FebROOary its due. 
I don't get too really upset hearing FebYOUary about 80 percent of the time, but, as an English teacher who tried to teach spelling gimmicks, I worked extra hard at clearly enunciating  our second month.
Things start "brewing" in the month after the long, dead month of January, I'd tell my students in hopes of their getting the connection. 
More than likely they learned to spell the month right, but that was no guarantee they'd ever spit it out correctly after leaving my classroom.
It's obvious winter is taking its toll when the trifles of word pronunciation start irritating us.  
By the way, can you see the "nun in the CIA" in that word, thus allowing you to pronOUNCE proNUNciation correctly.  She definitely ran a covert operation with her habit.

One third of the way through our second month of 2012, we have new snow on the ground.  This most recent light dump overnight caught me by surprise.  
I expected our unusually nice weather to continue through the weekend, but my mind must have been doing its whirlwind stuff when Tom Sherry was giving the weather forecast. 
Yes, things are "brewing" up this month.  
I've started attending meetings involving 2012 events.  Writing projects are in the works.  Eighteen geranium seeds have sprouted. I'm hoping to see more. Annual tax ciphering has begun.  
As all these projects begin, we'll be attending the last junior varsity basketball game tonight at Bulldog Gym.  I'll stay after for a while to snap a father-son photo of my buddy John Nitcy and his son Sam.
Sam's a senior at SHS, and this is Senior Night for the varsity.  Hard to believe Sam will be leaving the Nitcy nest soon.  
Afterward, I'll hurry home to watch a MOST CRUCIAL ZAGS game. 
I read in this morning's paper that this match-up with a tough St. Mary's team can mean the difference in whether the ZAGS can win the WCC title for a 12th consecutive year.  
If they lose tonight, their quest to try to catch the UCLA Bruins record 13 straight season titles could be jeopardized. 
So, I'm hoping Mark Few can brew up some nice strategies to catch St. Mary's offguard.
GO ZAGS!
Finally, I must speak of moose.  We haven't seen too many this year, but there are some moose in town who have managed to get their photos in the local newspaper almost as many times as that lady with the bad wig and the bright red lips shows on the Progressive insurance ad on our TV screen. 
The moose family consists of a mother and her two children.  The family has managed to keep kids inside during recess at Farmin School. 
And, just this week, the trio paid a visit to the high school----probably to learn how to spell "February."  
Well, their pictures keep showing up in the paper, and I have to tell you that my sister---probably in the middle of a spelling lesson----looked out the window and saw them.
Oops, she could not have done that.  SHE doesn't have windows in her classroom.
Anyway, somehow she heard about the visitors, so she took her camera and snapped a few photos.  
It's worth a trip to her Flickr site, to check them out.  Scroll down to see the three pictures and do check out her wonderful photography.
So, I'll leave you with the address to her link.  Go out and have a nice FEBRUARY day, and enjoy Barbara's photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/misstshs/ 




No comments: