Thursday, March 22, 2012

BC Nation at the Pooch Parlor

Kiwi, Kea, Todd and Brooke with their adoring moms, Marianne and Debbie


When Willie and Debbie lived in Boise, they could take Todd and Brooke to a walk-in doggie bathing facility.  For $11 apiece, the pups could have a bath in a tub with warm water and soap suds, followed by a drying session.
I've often wished we had such a place here in Sandpoint, especially every time we load up Kiwi and Kea in a rig and go for a drive.  
Dog odor,  brought on by trips through manure puddles, occasional rolling in cow pies and just plain grit picked up from general doggie farm life, can do a number on human noses when sharing those close quarters.
Yesterday, I noted a particularly strong smell coming directly from Kiwi who sat in the front seat with me on our trip to the county landfill.  It's good that I love my dog in spite of her smell. 
Thinking about that putrid smell later led me to the yellow pages.  
I had never checked to see if we had a walk-in dog bathing facility.  I guess when you're a local, you think you know everything about the area.
Well, when I learned that the Pooch Parlor http://www.thepoochparlor.net/ had been providing walk-in grooming/maintenance for dogs, cats and even birds just down the road in Ponderay for 12 years, I was astounded.
In addition, the place is a grooming college, the only certified grooming school in Idaho. Owner DuAnn Chambers told me her students come from all over the country for a three-six month course for becoming a licensed groomer. 
Learning all this, I later figured my journalistic nose for news had been handicapped by too much dog smell. 
Well, all four pups walked in to the Pooch Parlor yesterday.  And, what a time it was!
The staff knew they were coming because I called and asked if they'd take four Border Collies all at once.
Still, when the dogs came in the door, one groomer stood there, appearing paralyzed with her mouth hanging open.
I thought maybe the scene of all those dogs had intimidated her.  When she remained transfixed, I asked, "Is there something wrong?"
Finally, she broke her trance and said, "I LOVE Border Collies."
Immediately, she came to greet them.
I warned her to be careful around Kiwi because of her sensitivities and her occasional growling at strangers.
"I'll bond with her," she assured me. 
Kiwi offered no reason for concern, even when we led her up the steps to the bath tub.  In fact, her bathing session went without incident.
As did Todd's and Brooke's. 
When it came time for Kea---the Lovestead's more outgoing and always busy "patrol" dog---the staff had to call me.
"Kea can't take a bath without her mom," the voice at the other end said, adding that they'd tried several strategies, but Kea had refused all attempts for anyone to bathe her.
"If you want to come down in a few minutes and help us, you may get a little wet, but we should be able to bathe her if her mommy's here," the Pooch Parlor caller suggested.
So, I drove back to the pooch parlor and found Kea in the grooming room, very happy to see me. 
She did not like the muzzle, but she let me put it on.  With a little help, she actually climbed the stairs to the tub.  
Someone brought me an apron, and a staff member came over to begin the bath. 
At first, Kea was still a bit resistent, but as she began to feel the suds and the warm water and four hands massaging her body, she relaxed.
And, when the dryer started blowing that hair with warm air, her tail started wagging.
The staff was absolutely right. 
All she needed was her mom.
Anyway, at about 4 p.m., after owner DuAnn snapped a picture,  Debbie and I walked four beautiful, nice smelling members of the BC nation out the door.  
Knowing these beautiful coats would soon get wet with all the snow, we drove first to my sisters' home to show them off and then home for Bill to see them.
For the first time in a long time, Kea and Kiwi even enjoyed some time in the living room, on the couch in my lap.  
While stroking their lovely clean, soft coats, I inhaled deeply  with no concerns about "noseating"  asphyxiation.
During yesterday's experience, I learned that we can even take our dogs without an appointment and wash them ourselves, just like Willie and Debbie used to do in Boise.
Heck, the place even has a drive-through window for small dogs and cats.
Now that I know about the Pooch Parlor, our dogs are gonna be regulars.
Thanks, Pooch Parlor.  We loved the experience.  I think the dogs did too!

1 comment:

Barking Dog Collar for Small Dogs said...

Very interesting topic here in your site. Keep on posting this kind of topics. Very useful indeed.