Friday, March 23, 2012

How Many 4-Letter-Word Days Do We Have in March Anywho?


If you drive north from our area toward Bonners Ferry, you're likely to find the sun.
To use geocaching terms, I happily thought to myself yesterday afternoon, "I've got a find." 
Yes, indeed, the sun was shining brightly at the Kootenai National Wildlife Refuge yesterday, and though that 4-letter word beginning with an "S" is apparent in the photos, I actually walked down a dry dirt road.
Our sparkling clean Border Collies walked with me, on leash.
We walked about 3.5 miles, watching and listening to eagles, hawks, geese and deer enjoying their day in the beautiful refuge. 
Actually, I usually don't like to go for walks with the dogs on leash, but yesterday seemed like a good idea, even if I was following  "the rules" at the refuge.  
I could keep Kiwi and Kea from dirtying their new "do's" in mud holes or other residue.
I went to the refuge---as I often do---to get out the snow and slop left over from a night's and most of a day's worth of snow deposits. 
Schools in Bonner and Boundary Counties were shut down yesterday, thanks to the winter storm.  I believe that's a record.  
They've shut down the schools in late March and early April in past years for mud vacation, but, for snow, I don't think so.
This ongoing SNOW is definitely a 4-letter word, and, on this March 23rd as I look out my window to more of it on what was forecast as a sunny day, I'm biting my tongue to avoid an attack of noise pollution.
I told Bill this morning that my 4-letter words of the past few days have not worked, so the new strategy is to begin plotting a month-long escape during the early spring winter months next year.
Bill would probably like that cuz then he wouldn't have to listen to me complain.  Of course, even he thought he would be going fishing today up Bonners Ferry way---on this predicted sunny day. So, I think, in his quiet way, even Bill gets tired of interminable winters.
Maybe by the time I finish my blog, however,  all will be well.  
The sun will find its way from behind that wet, socked-in, gray air mass.  
Welcome warmth of its rays will begin the melting process immediately. 
Mud will disappear.  Sorry, kids, no mud days this year. 
By noon,  on this March 23 (two days after the opening of spring) we'll be seeing green grass and crocus tips jutting toward the sky. 
I'll have to hurry in to town and get some gas for the lawn mower.  
I can bring out the weed eaters and get rid of dead grass.
 If there's time enough left in this day, I can even transfer some of my baby plants out to the greenhouse--with heater, of course.
Maybe I can give the horses a good rubdown and remove some of that winter hair. 
Oops, wake up, Marianne.  
You've been dreaming. 
Your blog for the morning has come to an end.
The snow still falls. 
Seven more days left in this month. How many more 4-letter-word days?
Damn!

1 comment:

Patsy said...

Maybe your winter will end soon...we have had just the opposite here in TN. Our spring came about 3 weeks ago. Redbuds have lost their buds and turned green already. Even the Irises are in bloom. We are just hoping that we don't have a cold snap and ruin all the peach trees.