Saturday, March 24, 2012

Saturday Slight


Two days in a row on the same dry road in the same beautiful spot.  Only yesterday, Bill joined us at the Kootenai National Wildlife Refuge.
Our first sighting of wildlife:  all these deer in the meadow below the road.  We drove through part of the refuge, then found a parking spot and set out on a lovely walk.
Yesterday's adventure was amazing and almost magical.  We headed north because of the  rain/snow on a predicted "sunny" day continuing on into the afternoon. 
As we drove toward Bonners Ferry, the rain increased.  Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to try a second day of escaping.  Still, we kept up hope.
As we passed through the south part of Bonners Ferry, the rain lessened.  As we turned from downtown Bonners Ferry into the valley, I spotted some blue sky far off to the north.
Once we reached the flat land with massive farm fields on one side and the Kootenai River on the other, NO MORE RAIN. 
It was like we drove through a magic curtain, I told Bill.  The sun even managed a few rays through the clouds.  
As we left the car to begin walking a small squall over near the mountains threatened to come our way but dissipated within minutes.
We loved the walk as did the dogs.  
As we drove back to Bonners Ferry, the rain began again, and we had a wet wind shield all the way back to Sandpoint, where finally the clouds vanished and the sun came out.

This morning it's dry, no sun but much better than what we've seen for the past few days.
Bill thinks he may just try that fishing trip today, and I'll probably go over to my sisters' later for the annual horse-apple rally fundraiser. 
If the apples drop in the right square, I may win a whole lot of money.

In other news, the NCAA men's tournament is winding down and the women's is hitting its peak, and, yes, the Gonzaga women have reached the Sweet Sixteen.  So, we're still pulling for them in their game tomorrow.   Go ZAGS!

As far as bracketology, mine is looking pretty dismal.  I'm down to two Final Four teams,  still in the picture:  Kansas and Baylor. 
Kansas again won in a squeaker last night, and I think I know why they managed a win.

Let me explain.  A few weeks ago when I went to Palm Springs to visit my friend Mow and her husband Joe, Kansas was playing Missouri.  
Mow was buying goodies for a party at their house where some of Joe's friends---Missouri grads---were coming to watch.  
Joe and Mow, because of their Kansas City roots and association with KU,  are loyal Jayhawks.
So, when Kansas pulled out a win in another squeaker, Joe didn't mind rubbing it in to his Missouri friends. 
I'm also sure he wasn't nearly as disappointed as I was when Missouri got eliminated last week in the NCAA tournament.  After all, Missouri was among my Final Four picks.  
No doubt Joe and Mow were both as elated as I was when Kansas hung in there this past Sunday night to make it to the Sweet Sixteen----just barely too.  Maybe even in the final second of the game. 
Well, Kansas was set to play again last night, and we watched.  Again, they pulled off another "just barely."  As the final buzzer rang, I figured Mow and Joe were both pretty happy.
This morning I received a note from Mow, telling me that Joe, who has been in poor health for some time,  had passed away peacefully in his chair with his television set yesterday afternoon.
My first thought after the initial shock was that it was too bad Joe missed last night's game.
Then, I thought twice.  Joe  probably knew Kansas needed an extra boost of divine intervention.  
The Jayhawks got it.  Joe no longer suffers.  I'm sure he's up there in Heaven, smiling this morning.  Plus, I'm betting that Kansas University will continue to receive some extra help through the tournament. 
We send much love to Mow and to Joe's family.  
After all, we're related by dog. We also send our love to Webster, a sibling to the Lovestead Border Collie nation,  and to Bob, the parrot, as well as Webster's two canine friends. 
And, Joe, may you rest in peace.  We are so honored to have enjoyed your friendship. 

2 comments:

Don Mowry said...

I was really touched by the portion of today's blog dedicated to the passing of my sister Jean's hubby Joe Tobin. Joe would be smiling up above if he saw your beautiful and touching post. Jean is blessed to have you as one of her BFF'S!

Don Mowry

MLove said...

Thanks, Don. We Love's all feel blessed to have Jean aka Mow as our friend.

Go Jayhawks!