Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Splendor in the Light


Twas a perfect evening last night, a calm before the storm.
And, oh what a storm we had!
It knocked out the power around 1:30 a.m.  
Its wind gusts deposited a thick carpet of "catkins" on the deck. 
This deposit blew in from the poplar trees south of the house.
I just learned the term "catkin" from my forester husband. 
Over the years, I've characterized them with other terms  while sweeping them off the deck.
Messy little things! They love to get caught between the cracks.
At least the yard isn't too covered with limbs after its first mowing yesterday.
That first mowing tidies up all the leftovers from a winter of various deposits.
Yes, I even wiped out a few errant dog piles that I'd missed with my constant daily sweep.
Speaking of which, the deejay on K102.5's morning show advised his audience yesterday against using the riding mower over a winter's supply of dog logs.
He said the action leaves a coating on the pant cuffs.  Probably a stinky coating too.
With Foster in one hand and a camera in another, I strolled through the yard after dinner taking in the serenity and stunning beauty created by early evening sunlight from the west.
It was also a good time for enjoying some upclose and personal looks at critters and nature's creations which appear so perfect this time of year.
Bill has, over the years, taught me an appreciation for our tamarack/larch. 
I listened as he opened up the tamarack world to Laurie a week or so ago in preparation for the forestry study with her students. 
She, like me and so many others,  has gone a lifetime surrounded by trees but unconcerned by their labels. 
Well, I'm betting after her forestry short-courses in preparation for next month's competition,  she will have gained a whole new appreciation for the tree that sheds its needles every fall after its magnificent golden display. 
Tamarack needles have just emerged, and, like little Foster pup,  they're downright precious and pure. 
Buds on the fruit trees are about to pop open, and throughout our yard,  I discover new color and emerging life every day. 
So, during my stroll, I tried to capture some of the splendor in the early-evening light along with some just plain spring splendor. 
Love it!
 Truly a Walden time of the year. 
Now, where are those bean seeds?







No comments: