Monday, April 23, 2012

What Spring Doth Bring




Spring doth bring us many things.
Among them, a reminder of the great Bard.

So, on this lovely day of April sun, 
I shout "Hallelujah" to England's native son.
He wrote the comedies, the tragedies and the histories.
He also penned insightful sonnets of life and love that live on and on.

He was born today so long ago.
His bones now lie in Holy Trinity
Death may have stopped his writing flow,
But great William's words will last through infinity. 

Hail, Shakespeare.  You were one cool dude, if I do sayeth so!


That aside, it's a fair Monday in spring, which doth bring all things, good and bad.
Among the bad, flames racing out of control.

That happened yesterday afternoon along HWY 95,  just south of my sisters' home.
Laurie called and wondered if we had room for nine horses, just in case.

Bill and I had driven past the area on the west side of the highway earlier, and I had silently wondered if the folks who ignited that grass fire expected Sand Creek to extinguish it.
I looked all along the fire line and did not see one person tending the burning grass.

Laurie's call came about an hour later after four or five fire engines had been brought to the scene of what was turning into a full-blown wildfire.  
Fortunately, the fire folks were able to stop its progress.

We had fire engines race up this road two weeks ago to put out another runaway grass blaze.
Folks need to be careful.

Another thing that spring doth bring is playing in the dirt.  
I snapped the photo of the garden fence early this morning.  Please don't laugh at my "Marianne-style" construction.
It works.  
Besides, I can just say it resulted from the "creative" side of my brain, cuz it certainly doesn't exactly "follow the rules."
I just hope to report---in the fall---a "fence still standing" which protected a garden aplenty.

It's not quite time to put too much in that garden soil, but I've enjoyed raking and cleaning up debris.  It's actually starting to look kind of neat.

Spring doth bring the horse activities.  Here at the Lovestead it's still a lot of horse HAIR activity, but their hides are looking smoother every day.  Green grass does wonders for shiny horse hides, but that must still wait.

Of course, the spring classic of them all,  for those of us who love horses, is coming up next weekend:  the Kentucky Derby.
It's pretty cool to report that one of the Derby contenders comes from Idaho.  

His name is Rousing Sermon.  Here's hoping he'll pound those hooves on Churchill Downs podium, that God will be listening and that He will help guide him across the finish line FIRST.
He's owned by some folks from Boise called Larry and MARIANNE Williams.  
When I saw her name and thought about my daughter-in-law Deborah WILLIAMS Love from Boise and, of course, the "Marianne" spelling, I felt a kinship and a greater need than ever to support this horse.

There's been horse activity in The Netherlands too.  
Yesterday I learned on Facebook that Rich Fellers, whose wonderful son I met on a plane from Phoenix to Palm Springs, won the Rolex World Cup this weekend.   

The Fellers family lives in Oregon, and they've often traveled through Sandpoint, bound for jumping competitions in Canada.  

Well, Happy Birthday, Shakespeare,  and Happy Monday to all.  

May Spring bringeth you wonderful things today.


 

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

Also he is a relative to Seattle Slew.. which I found great, as I knew the aunt of the couple who owned Seattle Slew out of Washington state.. kind of a 6 removed connection...