Friday, April 06, 2012

Selle Spring






They were out in droves: walkers, horseback riders, bikers and dogs.  That long-awaited feeling that "this could really be spring"  finally arrived in Selle yesterday.

Folks were showing their appreciation, coming out of their shelters and taking full advantage---just in case Mother Nature would get some idea they had taken her gift for granted.

More snow disappeared. 

Grass turned greener.

Standing water stood shorter---in most places.  

Can ya see why I decided to abandon this garden area?

Three years of similar lakes hanging around in this plot until late into spring finally convinced me that it was not a good place to try to grow my beans and corn.

So, it's been planted to grass, and at the far end--- on higher ground---some perennials and raspberries do survive.

My horses were still racing around in their muddy barnyard when some neighbors came by aboard their horses.  Their Border Collie tagged along.
As we visited in the driveway, another lady came down the road with another black-and-white young pup on leash.

We stopped talking long enough for me to holler, "I like your dog.  Is that a Border Collie?"
"It's a Border Collie-Australian Shepherd cross," she hollered back. 
The little guy wanted to come in and visit, but she led him on. 

Meanwhile, our Border Collies spent a lot of time sniffing our visiting neighbor Collie. 

In the early evening I saw a couple walk by with their pretty bird dog on leash.  They stopped and calmed it down while a car drove by.  I figured the trip down South Center Valley Road must have been its first outing. 

I took off to the south and walked Selle Road to the west, where the late afternoon sun was still casting dramatic light upon fields and water.  

Except for cars speeding by occasionally on that paved road, the walk was peaceful and invigorating---especially because I could WEAR MY TENNIS SHOES and no rain pants and no heavy coats. 

There's a welcome lightness to spring.  It evolves not only from the sky but also from the knowledge  we can shed about 25 pounds which we've been carrying for several months every time we go out the door.

I'll take it.  Happy Spring and a blessed Good Friday. 

1 comment:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

OK, so I bought some pansies yesterday......sure sign it is spring!!